Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   any idea what year these fabrics are from? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-idea-what-year-these-fabrics-t142915.html)

cheryl rearick 08-08-2011 09:20 AM

YOur blocks are beautiful. So fresh looking abd lots of hand work. Someone really did a nice job. Great find :)

Meme2six 08-08-2011 11:11 AM

I can't identify the fabric period, but I surely do love the butterfly shape she used.

Susanna10 08-08-2011 11:29 AM

Very pretty.

skjack 08-09-2011 01:30 PM

not sure how old the blocks are , but have a quilt with these exact blocks made by my mother don't remember her making any othe quilt so it is special. she hand button hole stitched them and hand pieced the blocks and sashings. I had it hand quilted.

gollytwo 08-09-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter

Originally Posted by erstan947
My guess would be '30's - '40's. Great find:)

I think that is about right

ditto

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I went to NewburyPort, Ma today and went into a Antique store and saw these blocks for sale...23 butterfies for 20.00 Woohoo...any of you ladies know what time frame these fabrics are from? Someone did a great job on them. Love them...plan on making a quilt with them.

I'm guessing after the 50's. A little more sophisticated than the 40's an 50's fabrics my aunt used.

Winkee 08-10-2011 05:31 PM

I can't wait to see what you make with these darling butterflies

lots2do 08-10-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jan22
When I was very young my father, a farmer, would buy grain/feed that came in bags. Each bag stacked in the back flooring of the grain store were made of printed cloth. Much rougher than todays fabrics. They were feed sacks or bags and my sister who was in high school at the time making all her own clothes would tease to go with him so she could pick out bags that would be future blouses and skirts or dresses. She knew exactly how many it would take for each garment. So after empting each bag, my mother would unsew the seams which were on 3 sides and then wash the bags. That was in the late 40's early 50's and those prints you show are very much like the bags he bought. Those years were hard and that is why neither my sister or I do not purchase any reproduction prints. We are not even tempted to go anywhere near them in the fabric stores.
My father also purchased seeds (wheat and corn) in smaller cloth bags. Now those are every course and were used for backing for quilts after much bleaching to get the printing off. Didn't always work so one of the quilts my grandmother had made has the face of Abraham Lincoln and another has a rooster. Not sure what a presidents face was doing on seed sacks back then but it's very clearly printed.
I'm thinking those prints are from the late 40's.

I enjoyed reading your response and learning about your memories. I can see why you might not be attracted to them now.

lynn_z 08-10-2011 07:40 PM

I agree..most likely 1930s w/possibility of 40s. Very typical. Lucky they aren't quilted yet so you can enjoy them for a long time instead of being worn out already.

carolaug 10-27-2011 01:49 AM

I still have done nothing with these butterflies...sorta regret buying them.