Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any ideas on quick ways to sell lots of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-ideas-quick-ways-sell-lots-fabric-t68873.html)

dakotamaid 10-07-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I recently bought a box of fabric from a lady who was doing the same thing.
She advertised on our local Kijiji forum - it's kind of like Craig's list but mostly for local things.
She advertised like this.
"Great deal for quilters and sewists. Must destash. All fabrics on sale for $50/box, you choose what goes in your box."

Then when we got there - the boxes were huge! We got to choose our box and fill it with whatever caught our eye - for me it was cottons of course. The box was 2'x2'x2' - when it was full her husband had to take it to my van because I couldn't lift it.

I like this idea except in the case the shipping. Maybe filling a flat rate box full, there are different sizes of flat rate boxes. Could be theme, color families, same line of fabric, etc.!!!

jitkaau 10-08-2010 01:35 AM

Do you have a local market at weekends? You could have a stall and sell off the fabric in lots. I would not cut up the fabric, as personally I would prefer to cut my own shapes and would be disappointed if the cuts were in the "wrong place". I often sell off bundles of stuff once I've finished a project - it just makes extra pin money for another project. Our market is once a month and many sewers go for a bargain.

moonrise 10-08-2010 02:34 AM

Just send it to me. Problem solved! :thumbup: he he

I'd probably list it here, in box lots, sorted by type/color. :)

carolaug 10-08-2010 03:05 AM

This is a great idea!!!

Originally Posted by beachlady
I recently went to a sale in a church - fabric only - I am sure the ladies were members of the church. The church was also having a pancake breakfast, so that brought in extra people. If you do post on Craig's list, I hope you have someone there with you when people come.

finch 10-08-2010 03:10 AM

I agree with the sell in groups methods.

JAGSD 10-08-2010 03:18 AM

This summer a gal that was going thru some hard times rented a hotel/motel room for the weekend, advertised her fabric (she had tons) for sale thru guilds, putting notices up in stores and ect. She sold quite a bit that way. I bought quite a bit. Maybe this would work for you too.

ktmo815 10-08-2010 04:16 AM

Do you have any pics? I'm from Ohio & always on the look out for fabric (prefer yardage) - maybe I can help you out

Linda58 10-08-2010 04:26 AM

We have a lady in Texas who has a fabric store in her garage, all LQS quality and she sells everything for one set price $6.00 a yd. She is very busy all the time. Maybe you could do the same, set a price per yd and sell everything at that price. Yes, it involves cutting yardage, but out the door it will go, and best of all...NO SHIPPING!!

Advertise, advertise, advertise this 1 or 2 day event!!

lauriejo 10-08-2010 04:30 AM

We have a lady here in Mogadore who started out selling off her stash in her garage, it is now a store! I agree with some of the others who have suggested a garage sale type event. Depending on where you are, you could get a lot of customers from the Buckeyes here on the board!

kwhite 10-08-2010 04:37 AM

I know the flat rate boxes are popular but I think if you look you could ship the same size box for less if it is not a flat rate box. Sometimes they make sense but quite often they are just more expensive. Since you have tons to ship this is a good time to do the experiment.