Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on quick ways to sell lots of fabric?

I know if anyone has an answer, you guys will. I posted on here several months ago about selling my huge stash of fabric. Only plan to keep a small amount, mainly home dec. type. I have several reasons for doing this. Number one is that I need the funds for continuous care for my black Lab who has (in remission) melanoma. But also I need to have the garage sewing room totally cleaned out within a couple weeks because it's going to be used for another purpose. I currently have listed in the classified section here a lot of fat quarters, some yardages and many fabrics still on bolts. I've sold many of the fat quarters but am realizing that this could be a months long project with the amount I have to list. Any ideas on ways to sell it fast, preferably in larger amounts? I literally have a 20 x 20 sewing room that is full and have hundreds of yards of quality LQS fabric. Love my fabric but keeping it is not an option. I also hate the thought of moving it into my dining room and bedrooms to store while selling. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks. Kate

PS. Since fat quarters and smaller pieces seem to be so popular, I even thought about cutting it all into fat quarters and also maybe buy a die cutter and cut a bunch into shapes. Just not sure. Again, if I did that I'd have to live with it stored in various rooms of my house.

Don't sell it all as FQ's There are a lot of us that prefer yardage of fabric.

You could try and do an ad in Craigs list. Maybe package the fabric is bins that you would be willing to sell for say $50 to $100? I am sure there are local people willing to buy from you that way. That would make it easier to offload a chunk of stuff without having to take pictures and mail stuff. I have bought fabric from people sight unseen this way before.

Cheers!
    Rachel

i would put up an ad on craigs list

Blog Entries
    Maybe start offering bolts of fabric to get those out of the way first. Then fat quarters by 10's,20's. That would give you ti,e to do fabrics and yardage. No cutting, what it is, it is.
    Or contact a few local quilts shops and see much they would offer for the lot.

CALL YOUR LOCAL QUILT GUILDS

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Don't sell it all as FQ's There are a lot of us that prefer yardage of fabric.
    I hate fat quarters. I only use them when they come in kits.

Do you have collections? Those might do better if grouped together. Hard to make suggestions when we don't see what you have.

Power Poster
    A lot depends on how much $ you want to recover.

The fastest way? Perhaps sort it into groups, like:

Greens
    Batiks
    Calico
    Reds
    FLorals
    Kids
    Aquatic

^^^Something like that. See how much you can stuff in a FRB ($10.70 for the medium, $13? for the large) and then set a fair price for it. If it's "wal mart" type fabric, perhaps $2/yd is fair. If it's quilt shop, maybe more.

I'd say take a picture of the whole group before you stuff it in the FRB, so people know what the "greens" lot looks like.

Also be clear about how it's been stored. People are pretty ok with things like "It's been in the attic" or "We have a cat, you may see stray hairs on it"

With that much to sell, I'd say make an announcement on which day you will be heading to the post office. ANd then just pack, pack, pack for the rest of the week.

I also prefer yardage. I do think an ad on CL stating LQS quilting fabric for $X per yard will help you sell faster and shipping can be a pain.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Im with the majority, sell as yardage versus FQ..

Sell in groups like for example-
    Colors
    animals
    batiks
    flannels
    holiday
    and so on.,

My sister had so much fabric that when she knew she would not win her battle with colon cancer, she put ads in the local Pittsburgh, PA paper & people called to make appointments to come make purchases. She had so much fabric that she actually rented an apartment not far from where she lived & put shelving in so that she could display the fabric. She had someone who became a good friend that helped handle the mass of fabric when my sister passed. I was 300 miles away & had my hands full handling 2500 quilt books that belonged to my sister.

I agree with the comments on yardage. Sell fat quarters onlu at the end of selling the yardage. Do sell in groupings. Some need to see any coodinating fabrics , as they purchase in a store in a grouping. In other words sometimes when I look at fabric I think "thats nice , but what would I put with it?"
    Host an "OPEN GARAGE SALE"for one or two days send flyers to every quilt guild and sewing organization you can find. Post it on Craigs list. Set up a cutting table. Do show photos of the amounts of fabric. Nothing gets me to a location than the idea or better picture of LOTS to pick from. Entilst a frend to help with either the cutting or the cashing( a really good friend) . Offer an early bird special as well as a closing day special.

I am always looking for yardage 6-7 yards for backing and borders. Also designer collections of fat quarters.

Power Poster
    I much prefer yardage to small pieces too.

That's why I have cutting equipment!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I prefer yardage too but I also like charm packs too. Not too big on FQ's. Some times they are a little too pricey.

Power Poster
    You haven't said how much $ you are trying to recover -

or how much time you are willing to put into it -

which would make a difference in how you deal with it

ebay also has a lot of fabric sales.

The free with postage paid by donor, free, almost free, and very low priced things seem to go very quickly on this board.

Also on craigslist and garage sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I much prefer yardage to small pieces too.

That's why I have cutting equipment!

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    If you have it pretty much already sorted as to color, bolts, smaller amounts
    in boxes, why not hire someone to help you for ONE day to photo and
    then gradually list it HERE. With prices going up so fast, am sure us ladies
    will be your best customers. As for CraigsList, personally have not had
    much success!

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention ... my Classifieds here are often answered/sold within
    a few hours of listing.

I recently went to a sale in a church - fabric only - I am sure the ladies were members of the church. The church was also having a pancake breakfast, so that brought in extra people. If you do post on Craig's list, I hope you have someone there with you when people come.

Blog Entries
    Hi katied772, just saw you post, do you have any 1930's fabric, if so please pm and I am instrested in buying some of those if you have them. I am having a hard time finding them around here. Will also be instrested in some of your other fabric as well. PM me with some of what you have. Thanks in advance.

agree with most here, but I have noticed that you have not posted in the classified sections to sell you fabric here.

We all love a good fabric hunt here! So,, my advice would be to take lots of photos, with sets, colour sorting, and put example 5 fabrics to each shot. Then post them here. There are lots of people here that would rather buy from a fellow QB member than a stranger on the net, me being one of them. I would love to see some of your fabrics here. Have a look at some of the other classified posts and get a few ideas on how to set it up, with cost, wording, postage, payment options etc.
    There is also ebay, or craigslist, but if you have that much fabric that I think you have, it will take a bit of time to sell it all, dont think something of that size can be done quickly. Put reasonable prices on them and just watch them disappear! Good luck

Also, perhaps in your add put in what the customer would like, yardage or fat quarters. I personally like yardage, but I love sets of fat quarters, and bundles.

I would hope that you would list them here as many of us would gladly purchase it from you (whether it is yardage or fat quarters) and take it off your hands. I know that they would sell fast here with the prices of cotton going up. It would just be a matter of having to take photos to post here.

Craigs list is the best way to go.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast