Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on quick ways to sell lots of fabric?

she has listed here within the last few days...I bought lots..hahah...maybe if you take pics in your 20x20 room and post those pics people can see, to a point, what's there without you cutting it into smaller pieces and they can PM you about it....the way you listed it in color groupings the other day was good too, but instead of individual FQ's sell those 6 or 9 matching fabs as a group....bump your add up here on the board since people have missed it...

Try selling some on here. Here's what I suggest:

When I've looked at the postings here it seems yardages will sell faster than anything. So maybe start of with your bolts and yardages. If you're willing to cut some fabric, one idea might be to cut some yardages off the bolt (like 1, 2, 5, or whatever yards) and put the indivual yardages for sale. Someone might find something they really like, but don't want a 20 yard bolt of it. Or two people might want the same fabric. Could also offer some bundles of yardages in the same color or style (batik, 1920's, solids, etc.) Clearly state prices and shipping charges.

Oh, and you got to have pictures. I've seen people who've sold yardages of fabrics who have several fabrics in one picture and they've put a sticky note with a number on it on each fabric. It'll be easier getting messages from interested buyers like "Is #23 still available?" instead of "Is that red fabric in the third picture in the fourth row second from the right still available?" When something is sold go back and click the edit tab on the page the picture of the item is on and write "SOLD:" in followed by whatever number of fabric was sold so buyers will know what's left. I've noticed you can't edit the first posting on the thread so you might have to put an intro. for the first posting then go back and reply to post all your pics.

And you don't have to post everything at once. Actually, if you keep posting things gradually it will keep your post from completely disappearing into page 2 and beyond and will get people to look at the new listings and look again at the old ones you've put up when you've put an "UPDATED" in the title.

Say, if you got anything in solid dark grey and black I'd be willing to take some off your hands if you're offering a good price for it.

Power Poster
    In the classifieds section, the creator of the post can edit the first listing - I'm not sure about the later ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    In the classifieds section, the creator of the post can edit the first listing - I'm not sure about the later ones.
    Thanks for the clarification. Never posted on the classifieds so I didn't know.

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a box of fabric from a lady who was doing the same thing.
    She advertised on our local Kijiji forum - it's kind of like Craig's list but mostly for local things.
    She advertised like this.
    "Great deal for quilters and sewists. Must destash. All fabrics on sale for $50/box, you choose what goes in your box."

Then when we got there - the boxes were huge! We got to choose our box and fill it with whatever caught our eye - for me it was cottons of course. The box was 2'x2'x2' - when it was full her husband had to take it to my van because I couldn't lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    I recently bought a box of fabric from a lady who was doing the same thing.
    She advertised on our local Kijiji forum - it's kind of like Craig's list but mostly for local things.
    She advertised like this.
    "Great deal for quilters and sewists. Must destash. All fabrics on sale for $50/box, you choose what goes in your box."

Then when we got there - the boxes were huge! We got to choose our box and fill it with whatever caught our eye - for me it was cottons of course. The box was 2'x2'x2' - when it was full her husband had to take it to my van because I couldn't lift it.
    I like this idea except in the case the shipping. Maybe filling a flat rate box full, there are different sizes of flat rate boxes. Could be theme, color families, same line of fabric, etc.!!!

Do you have a local market at weekends? You could have a stall and sell off the fabric in lots. I would not cut up the fabric, as personally I would prefer to cut my own shapes and would be disappointed if the cuts were in the "wrong place". I often sell off bundles of stuff once I've finished a project - it just makes extra pin money for another project. Our market is once a month and many sewers go for a bargain.

Just send it to me. Problem solved! :thumbup: he he

I'd probably list it here, in box lots, sorted by type/color. :)

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    I recently went to a sale in a church - fabric only - I am sure the ladies were members of the church. The church was also having a pancake breakfast, so that brought in extra people. If you do post on Craig's list, I hope you have someone there with you when people come.

I agree with the sell in groups methods.

This summer a gal that was going thru some hard times rented a hotel/motel room for the weekend, advertised her fabric (she had tons) for sale thru guilds, putting notices up in stores and ect. She sold quite a bit that way. I bought quite a bit. Maybe this would work for you too.

Do you have any pics? I'm from Ohio & always on the look out for fabric (prefer yardage) - maybe I can help you out

We have a lady in Texas who has a fabric store in her garage, all LQS quality and she sells everything for one set price $6.00 a yd. She is very busy all the time. Maybe you could do the same, set a price per yd and sell everything at that price. Yes, it involves cutting yardage, but out the door it will go, and best of all...NO SHIPPING!!

Advertise, advertise, advertise this 1 or 2 day event!!

We have a lady here in Mogadore who started out selling off her stash in her garage, it is now a store! I agree with some of the others who have suggested a garage sale type event. Depending on where you are, you could get a lot of customers from the Buckeyes here on the board!

I know the flat rate boxes are popular but I think if you look you could ship the same size box for less if it is not a flat rate box. Sometimes they make sense but quite often they are just more expensive. Since you have tons to ship this is a good time to do the experiment.

Hi, I too have loads of fabric to sell. It seems that every time I go to my stash I either do not have the right amount or color. I belong to a quilt quild and I am going to have a sale and invite the members of my quild. My friends have done this with their unloved fabrics and was very successful. If you do not belong to a quild, contact a quild near you and let them know when and where your sale will be. Marilu

Hi, I too have loads of fabric to sell. It seems that every time I go to my stash I either do not have the right amount or color. I belong to a quilt quild and I am going to have a sale and invite the members of my quild. My friends have done this with their unloved fabrics and was very successful. If you do not belong to a quild, contact a quild near you and let them know when and where your sale will be. Marilu

I'd be interested in yardage, as I'm trying to use my stash to make the quilts that I have on my 'to do' list. My colors are burgundies, blues, greens, and browns.
    I'm planning to do a pink and black quilt and would need a pink/black small flower for the backing. I would love to be closer to you to help you with your sell.
    Have you decided on your pricing, yet?
    As suggested by another board member, sell the bolts first, then
    yardage, then fat quarters at the last of sale. Good Luck.
    A lot of the Board members will help you out! Eiltcoq.

Pictures would help sell it, no fat quarters, and don't cut into shapes - already many outlets for that and there's the expense of the cutter - kind of defeats your purpose of making money. There are lots of buyers on this site!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I agree with the comments on yardage. Sell fat quarters onlu at the end of selling the yardage. Do sell in groupings. Some need to see any coodinating fabrics , as they purchase in a store in a grouping. In other words sometimes when I look at fabric I think "thats nice , but what would I put with it?"
    Host an "OPEN GARAGE SALE"for one or two days send flyers to every quilt guild and sewing organization you can find. Post it on Craigs list. Set up a cutting table. Do show photos of the amounts of fabric. Nothing gets me to a location than the idea or better picture of LOTS to pick from. Entilst a frend to help with either the cutting or the cashing( a really good friend) . Offer an early bird special as well as a closing day special.
    GREAT IDEAS!

Calling you quilt guild is a great idea. They are always looking for someone to come in and sell their wares. you might even be able to get more for the fabric. It is always better to touch and feel.

Join the Yahoo group Sew Its For Sale. They get a lot of traffic on that group. You can post an ad and also put pictures in a picture folder. Separate your pics by color, theme, whatever. They have quite strict rules for the way you post an ad and pics so be sure to read the rules they have. I have sold a lot through that group. If you join the group you can read through the postings to get an idea of prices, how people do postage, etc.

You could send your fabric to my house. :lol:
    I think your fabric would sell better by yardage,
    I never buy fat quarters. I believe the best way is to devote your time to your fabric, grab a box/bin whatever take pictures and post here on the message board for us to buy. Open the next box, take pictures, and post. Dedicate yourself to this project. You can do it, and we will help you.

Blog Entries
    post it at your grocery store bullentine board. Have a yard sale, your local aper is pretty cheap to place a yard sale ad quilters & sewers delight lots of fabric don't miss it !!!!!GOOD LUCK!!! Sorry to hear your dog is sick, it's as your child is ill. How attached we are to our pets.
    God Bless.

I too prefer yardage.
    I'm new to this forum... so I ask, can you take some pics and post them on this site? The target audience would be right and I'll bet you'd have interested buyers who would be sure to put your fabric to good use.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast