Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Any ideas on quick ways to sell lots of fabric?

I am interested in your varies prices and the types of your material. I will be buying a certain amout if the price is right. I do alot of chairty and sheriff,highway patrol and alot of childrens organizations.
    Will be waiting to hear from and thank you if things work out right.
    If we are able to make a deal it will ber paid by check. but probably a money order instead.

(Sandee Williams in New Mexico)

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA CATLEGE
    CALL YOUR LOCAL QUILT GUILDS
    I think this is the very best idea! I have gone to these and the fabric is gone in a flash! Sometimes there is more than one guild around to sell to.

Quote Originally Posted by cinjosie
    You're in Ohio somewhere? If you are any where near Dayton I could guarantee lots of us would come to shop!
    I'm near Canton.

Katie, I had the same thing happen to me with the regular status. Keep posting and you will be there in no time. Then we can all have a mad rush to your sale!!! Good luck with whichever way you choose!

Blog Entries
    Don't cut it up.. that's WAY too much work.. I don't usually buy FQ.. unless I just have to.. I buy yardage.. It's much more usable.

Contact your local quilt guilds.. Sell it cheap.. (I can hear people screaming already).. I have always felt it's better to sell something for a bit less than you might like and have the stuff sold and gone.. No sense in pricing it at what it should sell at and have to mess with longer than you want!

Yardage at the best prices you can possibly manage. You'll still make more than it would cost financially to store it elsewhere and emotionally to store it in your house.
    I agonised over getting rid of a ridiculously large vintage glass collection, and when I finally sold it off cheap and /or gave it to the Salvation Army I felt 100 lbs lighter.
    Just get it gone! Good luck and I'll be watching for posts.

I was at a yard sale last week that had a lot of fabric. She had put the smaller fabrics in gallon sized plastic zip lock bags, labeled them as "patriotic", "Christmas", etc and had a price per bag. Some bags had just one piece of fabric and she stated yardage amount and price on them. Her bolts had masking tape surrounding them with a price and yardage amount.

She had about 30 of those 54 quart bins full of fabric and each bin was labeled with it's contents such as, 100% cotton, fleece, wool, statin, velvet, etc. with the bags inside. It made it very easy to go through and you didn't waste your time looking through bins that didn't have quilting fabric in it. I got a fabulous deal on her oriental fabrics.

So, if you can get your family together to help do something like this and have a large sale, advertised on CL, you should do very well and sell quite a bit of it. This sale I was at was very organized and easy to navigate, so it does take some prep work, but it was much better for buyers who didn't have the time to rummage through stuff.

Just a hint about advertising on CL. I always use the search feature and "fabric" brings up way too many posts, so I use "quilting" or "sewing" to find what I am looking for, so make sure those words are in your ad.

Diane

I would suggest advertising in your local paper, posting notes on public boards such as in your supermarket, or listing on Ebay. Good luck!

fat quarters are limited...yardage is lots better....go to your local community college that give quilting lessons and I am sure you could sale some of you inventory...

You aren't far from me, I am just outside Akron! If you decide to hold a sale, I would love to come shopping. I know there are other people nearby on the board, they would probably like to shop too.

I'd come for a sale too

Quote Originally Posted by ktmo815
    I'd come for a sale too
    I may decide to have a sale. I'm not sure if it is okay to post it here or not.

I'm like some of the others, don't cut it into fat qtrs. I would price it by the yard, and then have it so you could offer it at a bolt price for a little less.
    I wish I lived closer to you and I would take a good chunk off your hands. If I had the funds, all I would have to tell my daughter, "Let's take a road trip", and we would head that way(haha)( from south Alabama).
    Lisa

Well, I did get the go ahead to post some listings again. I'm going to start with some large yardages and add to the listings as I go. It's time consuming to put it up again-so a little at a time. Just keep checking back.

Price is the key to selling fabric quickly. Craigslist, guilds... but be aware that many guilds price good donated fabric at $1/yard at their sales. You may not be willing to match that price.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrell ann
    Craigs list is the best way to go.
    My husband and I have sold several things on Craig's List and feel it is a good option for large things, but I have not had that much luck with fabric. I took nice pictures and it was priced dirt cheap and I had one response from the Kansas City Craig's list and none from the Topeka, KS Craig's list.

Too bad you can't do something like a shop hop that the quilt shops do. Maybe you could do a weekend sale and list at Craigs list and LQS's. What part of Ohio do you live in. Maybe some of us who live close, I live in PA, could get together and drive out and buy some. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette
    Too bad you can't do something like a shop hop that the quilt shops do. Maybe you could do a weekend sale and list at Craigs list and LQS's. What part of Ohio do you live in. Maybe some of us who live close, I live in PA, could get together and drive out and buy some. Just an idea.
    Thinking about doing that. I live near Canton, so not too far from the PA border.

Power Poster
    catagorize the fabric and advertise, advertise and advertise.

I've bought 100's of yards of fabric from ebay sellers. That's a great place to start. If you need to get it out of the garage in a hurry, you might rent a storage unit for awhile until you can get it all in order or see if someone in your neighborhood could store some of it for you. Another thought: bundle it in groups of fabrics that would make a nice quilt. One word of warning though: don't sell yourself short. Just as today's fabrics are now selling for $10, your fabrics have increased in value also. Don't feel like you have to sell it for $2/yd just to get rid of it unless you're in a real bind for money. If you have as much fabric as you say, it will take awhile. We have a local newspaper that posts classifieds on their website for free. It's been so successful that the classifieds in the newspaper have dropped down to nothing. You could also put up eye-catching signs on bulletin boards - library, grocery store, senior center. If you're not talented in creating a poster, I'm sure there is a young person nearby who would like to help you.

Good luck! If you decide to sell on ebay, be sure to give us your seller id so we can look over what you have. And...good photos will sell your fabrics for you so be sure to spend time on them.

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    You could try and do an ad in Craigs list. Maybe package the fabric is bins that you would be willing to sell for say $50 to $100? I am sure there are local people willing to buy from you that way. That would make it easier to offload a chunk of stuff without having to take pictures and mail stuff. I have bought fabric from people sight unseen this way before.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    This makes alot of sense. Try it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4