Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-tips-making-puff-quilt-aka-bisuit-quilt-t267390.html)

MadQuilter 07-09-2015 10:26 AM

Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)?

If anyone in the group has made one of those puffy biscuit quilts, can you offer any advice? A friend's DIL just had a baby and wants one of those. I am planning to use 5" charm squares to do this with a 4" backing piece. I looked on youtube and it looks daunting to sew those fluffy pillows together, so I thought I'd ask here.

yngldy 07-09-2015 11:06 AM

Just saw a tutorial on FB the other day. Looked but cannot find link. They had taken the larger square, pleated it on each side onto the smaller square, then sewed all the squares together. Then, during TV time, slit each square on back and stuffed, then hand tacked the slit closed. I think then they backed with minky.

Tartan 07-09-2015 11:26 AM

I don’t know how others do them but I always thought I would do one like a flip and sew row method. I would sew a row of the squares ( with the side pleats in) into a complete row. I would then sew the top (pleats pinned in) to the top of my background fabric. I would then top stitch between the squares to the background fabric. I would then stuff the pockets, pin the pleat in the bottom and to the background.
I would then sew the next row of squares together in the same way and lay it on top of the previously bottom pinned row, pinning in the pleats on that row also and then sew the seam between the rows to the background. I would then top stitch between the squares, stuff and proceed down the background fabric.

willferg 07-09-2015 12:04 PM

I made a pillow to see if I liked the process without making too big a commitment :thumb up:

I left one side open when I stuffed. Then I pinned the pillows with puffed sides (right sides) together and sewed. It was a little bulky, but it worked fine. The seams were not pretty underneath, but along the top, the puffed parts hid the seams nicely. You could start with pairs and sew the two open sides together first, so you don't have to worry about seams not catching as you go along.

For the pillow, I made a backing that consisted of two overlapping pieces so I could stuff the pillow inside the cover, but for a blanket I would probably use the birthing method. I think that would be easier than trying to get a binding to work.

sewbeadit 07-09-2015 12:18 PM

I made three big quilts years ago and can't remember how I did it, but Tartan's idea sounds very good. I know I liked making them and they were fun, but were a lot of work and I did a lot of crawling around on the floor to arrange the pattern, etc. I also made a red and white pillow and it turned out gorgeous. I say just have fun and enjoy it.

Latrinka 07-09-2015 01:33 PM

I want to make one someday, I think they are so cool! Anyway, have you looked at this thread, scroll down, I think the website is www.awaitingada.com or something. I think I would consider this method. Good Luck
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t263024.html

toverly 07-09-2015 02:14 PM

I had a friend make one, the only thing she said her mistake was making the pillows too full. I can't remember if it was hard to sew or just didn't look right being too puffy.

Emmy Sue 07-09-2015 02:26 PM

When I started one years ago the pattern called for so many ounces of "fill" in each puff. By the time I was half way done, the quilt was so heavy the baby would not be able to move. Stopped at that point and threw it away.

Pat M. 07-09-2015 02:35 PM

I made a king size one. What a pain in the Kister! Would not recommend one for a baby. They could smother in the puffs.

prezzy 07-09-2015 04:09 PM

I made 4 of these, just sewed up 3 sides with pleats, sewed then together to form a row, do not put a lot of filling each one, because this becomes very heavy. Sewed the rows together, made a ruffle edge and sewed on a back. not that hard.