Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else "sign" their quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-%22sign%22-their-quilts-t67372.html)

quilt3311 10-01-2010 02:41 AM

I used to make labels, but now I sign somewhere on the face of the quilt. Hey painters sign their work on the front for all to see, why shouldn't we? I use a permanent pigma pen and write name, date,and location. On the back I write who it is for, occasion or other pertinent information.

TX GMimi 10-01-2010 03:07 AM

Love all the responses! I'm still at the "meandering" stages of LAQ and find it's easy to make "heart" - so my quilts all have lots of hearts!! Then a label also goes on the back...

For the grandkids - I've actually quilted their names on the quilts - not bad, but with practice I'll get there! :)

peeanner 10-01-2010 07:21 AM

I thought everyone signed their quilts. I have been quilting for over 50 years. Every quilt gets my signature, to the person I make it for and the date it was given, in the lower right corner. This is hand written in a marking pen. Now that person knows I had made it just for them.

inletjerry 10-01-2010 08:06 AM

Really like this idea of a trademark hidden somewhere in the quilt. This would be in addition to the label attached to the back. Making labels from the computer (original designs of my own), or on my enbroidery unit, is a lot of fun and again allows me to show my artsy side.

starshine 10-01-2010 11:17 AM

I've made a few wall hangings, and put labels on the back. I'm working on my first bed size quilt. I like the idea of a "trademark" sign quilted in the quilt in addition to a label with information on the back. Have to think about one. I also liked the ideas on this post of having a memory book or journal that goes with a quilt - whether it stays with the quilt or the quilter.

carolaug 10-01-2010 11:29 AM

I love this idea!!!!

carolaug 10-01-2010 11:37 AM

I really like the idea of using a button...I am going to look for a cat button. I think it would be so cool...I have only completed two quilts and have them both so I can easily start if I can find a cat button.

Originally Posted by carolaug
I love this idea!!!!

Moon Holiday 10-01-2010 12:26 PM

Okay, I hate to admit that I have never signed or photographed any of the quilts/throws/wallhangings/pillows/tablerunners/placemats/ potholders/apron/sweatshirts or handbags I made and gave away as gifts during the past 30 years. It has only been since joining this board that the thought about adding labels has even crossed my mind...

sew wishful 10-01-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Randa, I don't have an embroidery machine. I use a Peace Sign as my signature. I sneak it in somewhere by hand stitching it or stamping it with ink or if it has to be tiny I draw it with a Pigma pen.

Will Pigma NOT wash out? I've heard talk on here that the permanent markers eventually wash out. I realize quilts don't get washed that often, but I want any signature to stay. I'm really leaning towards a hand embroidered signature of some kind. Heard today that some are printing on that special material that you run through your computer printer...you can customize what you want on the label. I just want my grandkids to know that I've prayed over the quilt and for them while making it. And the date it was given in love. Guess I'll have to tell them that part! LOL!

dljennings 10-01-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Randa

Originally Posted by janRN
Randa, I don't have an embroidery machine. I use a Peace Sign as my signature. I sneak it in somewhere by hand stitching it or stamping it with ink or if it has to be tiny I draw it with a Pigma pen.

Will Pigma NOT wash out? I've heard talk on here that the permanent markers eventually wash out. I realize quilts don't get washed that often, but I want any signature to stay. I'm really leaning towards a hand embroidered signature of some kind. Heard today that some are printing on that special material that you run through your computer printer...you can customize what you want on the label. I just want my grandkids to know that I've prayed over the quilt and for them while making it. And the date it was given in love. Guess I'll have to tell them
that part! LOL!

you don't have to buy special paper, just press the fabric you want to use onto freezer paper, trim to size for the printer & run it thru.. much much cheaper. i do it all time.