Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone ever buy a Shark iron? Opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-buy-shark-iron-opinions-please-t228083.html)

MaryStoaks 08-16-2013 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie (Post 6237347)
About 2 months ago I got a Shark (not sure of the model - it is blue) and I absolutely love it. It is lighter weight than any others I have had. It was less than $30.00. I usually buy the cheapest as our well water tends to kill them early.

I love my Shark iron. For all the same reasons as Sunnie. My first Shark only lasted 2 years (I iron a lot) but at the price I liked it enough to run down to Walmart and buy another just like the old one.:thumbup:

yngldy 08-16-2013 01:26 PM

I bought a little Shark years ago for applique. Did not like those little Clover things. It is about 6-7 inches big. Has steam, burst of steam, gets the temp I want, doesn't spit, been dropped, traveled across the US. My next big iron will be a Shark. I have three others, no room for another, but they might start disappearing. When these go, it will be a Shark! Had a Rowenta, once.

Rose S. 08-16-2013 02:53 PM

Wow, am I glad to hear all these reviews...I had went ahead and tried it out. Definitely like the feel of it. I prefer the auto shut-off so I am ok with that. I am so afraid of forgetting it. And I even have the plug-in connect to the light switch so when I turn the light off, it shuts off the iron. I am liking the way it steams and the weight of it. I wish I could get in the habit of just using the spray bottle though...think that sounds like a good idea.

cassiemae 08-16-2013 04:44 PM

I have had a Rowenta also and it did not last long at all, I don't know anything about the Sharks.

judylg 08-16-2013 07:19 PM

I have a shark which I have had for the last five years, I really like it. I do not use the steam part of it, just keep a squirt bottle on the ironing board. I like it, it is heavy enough to do a good job. Would buy another one when this one does not work.

mighty 08-17-2013 06:33 AM

I do not have a shark, but I belive they are very good irons.

JBeamer 08-17-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 6237775)
I have a shark and really like the weight of it, when i bought it i was looking for a sharp tip on my iron to get into all those tight spots. I usualy use dry heat only. I'm from the old school and like to sprinkel my fabric, roll it tight, let it set for a bit before i iron. Yep! I even have one of those sprinkler heads that fit into a coka-cola bottle. Same head and bottle my grandmother gave me when i got married! Lol

I don't think I have seen one of these at the store in many years but I really haven't looked either. Do they still sell them?

nativetexan 08-17-2013 06:53 AM

I had one and it finally died on me. Had a Rowenta years before that and it blew out my power cord. Scary. Now I have a Black and Decker one. Registered it so maybe it anything goes wrong, will get replacement. I just ordered the small "travel" iron Steam -fast. hasn't come yet but hope it is good for pressing blocks. the shark over heated and melted a small plastic button on my Walmart iron rest. now I must keep that covered so not to ruin my new iron. I wonder if there are any "good" irons out there anymore?

raedar63 08-17-2013 06:45 PM

I have a small size shark iron and I love it ! Wal mart had two sizes I bought the smaller one less than 30 bucks I'm sure . Glad to hear that you are liking yours.

cad_queen_2000 08-17-2013 08:39 PM

I have 3 sharks, killed one shark, (I did a lot of pressing, had it about 5 years). Bought a B&D, didn't like it. Bought a Shark full price, (ouch!). The week after I bought my shark, it went on sale for half price. A friend said to take the receipt back, and they would give me the difference, so I did, and they did.

With my refund, I bought ANOTHER one. A couple of months after this happened, they went on sale AGAIN for half price, so...... I bought ANOTHER one. (I was scared that they would quit making the Shark Professional) Now I feel safe that I will have a good iron as long as I need it.

So, I guess you could say that I like my Shark Pro iron, since I use one, and have 2 in their boxes, just waiting to swing into action if needed. I also love that 10 foot cord.

P.S. I read on this board to use only distilled water, so that is what I use now. Plus, I empty it out every time I finish using it (I never did that with my old one). Hopefully, that will help to prolong it's life.