Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever buy a Shark iron? Opinions please

Anyone ever buy a Shark iron? Opinions please

I have had my current Black & Decker iron for probably 5 years...it has been a really good iron. I thought it died a week or two ago, but I 'slapped' the side of it, and it started heating up again. However, it started spluttering and spewing yesterday...then said the clean. I did...and it is working. But just afraid it is going to stop sometime when I am right in the middle of something.

So I was at walmart, and looked at the irons...the Black & Deckers they had did not feel made well...not near like the one I have. I looked at a Hamilton Beach and did not like the feel of it. Due to it being so hard to get out of the box, I just went ahead and bought the Shark Professional iron...and I definitely like the feel of it better than the others that they had.

I am finding mixed reviews about them on the net and just wondered if anyone had had experience with them. I am thinking I will probably keep it since I didn't like the others at all. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

I had a Rowenta before I my Black & Decker...it did not last any time and I didn't even use it that much because I was still working so didn't want to go with one of them. Now my one friend bought their travel iron and I think still loves it...has had it for years. So maybe I got a lemon.

Anyway, inquiring minds want to know.

Blog Entries
    About 2 months ago I got a Shark (not sure of the model - it is blue) and I absolutely love it. It is lighter weight than any others I have had. It was less than $30.00. I usually buy the cheapest as our well water tends to kill them early.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I have a Shark iron - love it. I think it's the Euro-Pro?

I have had two Sharks in the past nine years and I think they are great. Well-made and substantial without being too heavy.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Funny, My GE iron that I bought 40 years ago just bit the dust. I replaced it with a Hamilton Beach from Wal-Mart. I use distilled water in my iron, I think that is what made it last so long.

JulieM

I have a Shark...think it cost around $40. The only thing I do not like about it is that it shuts off so fast. But, I can live with that.

Blog Entries
    Love mine.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I purchased a Shark iron a few months back. Was looking for a replacement because my iron died.(actually it caught on fire) never had that happen in all my life. So went shopping. The Shark iron was on the clearance rack at Walmart for $7.00 so took a chance. I love it. The only thing I don't like is it is rather heavy Steams good and has the auto shut off which I can live with.

I have a Shark I use for clothes and a Rowenta I use for quilting I love them both but I never put water in mine I only use a spray bottle. I had heard that using water in your iron will make it not last long

I have a shark and really like the weight of it, when i bought it i was looking for a sharp tip on my iron to get into all those tight spots. I usualy use dry heat only. I'm from the old school and like to sprinkel my fabric, roll it tight, let it set for a bit before i iron. Yep! I even have one of those sprinkler heads that fit into a coka-cola bottle. Same head and bottle my grandmother gave me when i got married! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    About 2 months ago I got a Shark (not sure of the model - it is blue) and I absolutely love it. It is lighter weight than any others I have had. It was less than $30.00. I usually buy the cheapest as our well water tends to kill them early.
    I love my Shark iron. For all the same reasons as Sunnie. My first Shark only lasted 2 years (I iron a lot) but at the price I liked it enough to run down to Walmart and buy another just like the old one.
    Mary

I bought a little Shark years ago for applique. Did not like those little Clover things. It is about 6-7 inches big. Has steam, burst of steam, gets the temp I want, doesn't spit, been dropped, traveled across the US. My next big iron will be a Shark. I have three others, no room for another, but they might start disappearing. When these go, it will be a Shark! Had a Rowenta, once.

Wow, am I glad to hear all these reviews...I had went ahead and tried it out. Definitely like the feel of it. I prefer the auto shut-off so I am ok with that. I am so afraid of forgetting it. And I even have the plug-in connect to the light switch so when I turn the light off, it shuts off the iron. I am liking the way it steams and the weight of it. I wish I could get in the habit of just using the spray bottle though...think that sounds like a good idea.

I have had a Rowenta also and it did not last long at all, I don't know anything about the Sharks.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I have a shark which I have had for the last five years, I really like it. I do not use the steam part of it, just keep a squirt bottle on the ironing board. I like it, it is heavy enough to do a good job. Would buy another one when this one does not work.

I do not have a shark, but I belive they are very good irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    I have a shark and really like the weight of it, when i bought it i was looking for a sharp tip on my iron to get into all those tight spots. I usualy use dry heat only. I'm from the old school and like to sprinkel my fabric, roll it tight, let it set for a bit before i iron. Yep! I even have one of those sprinkler heads that fit into a coka-cola bottle. Same head and bottle my grandmother gave me when i got married! Lol
    I don't think I have seen one of these at the store in many years but I really haven't looked either. Do they still sell them?

Blog Entries
    I had one and it finally died on me. Had a Rowenta years before that and it blew out my power cord. Scary. Now I have a Black and Decker one. Registered it so maybe it anything goes wrong, will get replacement. I just ordered the small "travel" iron Steam -fast. hasn't come yet but hope it is good for pressing blocks. the shark over heated and melted a small plastic button on my Walmart iron rest. now I must keep that covered so not to ruin my new iron. I wonder if there are any "good" irons out there anymore?
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I have a small size shark iron and I love it ! Wal mart had two sizes I bought the smaller one less than 30 bucks I'm sure . Glad to hear that you are liking yours.

I have 3 sharks, killed one shark, (I did a lot of pressing, had it about 5 years). Bought a B&D, didn't like it. Bought a Shark full price, (ouch!). The week after I bought my shark, it went on sale for half price. A friend said to take the receipt back, and they would give me the difference, so I did, and they did.

With my refund, I bought ANOTHER one. A couple of months after this happened, they went on sale AGAIN for half price, so...... I bought ANOTHER one. (I was scared that they would quit making the Shark Professional) Now I feel safe that I will have a good iron as long as I need it.

So, I guess you could say that I like my Shark Pro iron, since I use one, and have 2 in their boxes, just waiting to swing into action if needed. I also love that 10 foot cord.

P.S. I read on this board to use only distilled water, so that is what I use now. Plus, I empty it out every time I finish using it (I never did that with my old one). Hopefully, that will help to prolong it's life.

I have a shark and love it!!! Like someone else mentioned, i should get another one - just in case.

i was looking for one that didn't have teflon on the bottom of it because my iron is always on high heat. I've had it for over 5 yrs...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I bought the Shark after reading so many great reviews here, but I'm the exception, didn't care for it, relegated it to ironing instead of quilting. Went back and bought a new Rowenta. The bad part is I'm not totally sure why I didn't like it. I think it didn't get as hot as I wanted. May have to drag it back to the quilting room and try it again.
    ​Nancy

In looking at the Shark irons at Wallyworld I've noticed that there are 3 that are called professional. So what I'm wondering is which one of them seems to be the best? Each model is a different color. Which color are y'all talking about? I've got to buy a new iron in the next couple weeks. Thanks for your input.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

Blog Entries
    My quilting group has two Shark irons and we love them. I purchased them cheaper at Targer than Walmart had them.

I had the blue one. I loved it until it died. I really liked the self clean feature it had.
    It lasted a few years, it's heating element started going to so I bought a new iron.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast