Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone ever go on a RV quilting retreat? Interested? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-go-rv-quilting-retreat-interested-t115748.html)

mimistutz 04-15-2011 06:24 PM

Think I will talk to a couple of campgrounds and try to organize one for late summer or early fall. Plenty to do for the non quilter spouses, plenty of quilt shops to visit and more than enough food.
I'll try Mr Google to see what I need to include.

Grambi 04-15-2011 06:43 PM

That sounds like such fun! I wish I lived closer--I would invite myself to attend. Just got a 1961 vintage travel trailer a few months ago and a Featherweight a few weeks ago. I need to take them on a vintage camping trip soon!

mimistutz 04-19-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
That sounds like such fun! I wish I lived closer--I would invite myself to attend. Just got a 1961 vintage travel trailer a few months ago and a Featherweight a few weeks ago. I need to take them on a vintage camping trip soon!

Wish you could come too. The vintage TT are becoming very popular, like the featherweights. We camped for a week last year in Lancaster area and I took my Janome. I really enjoyed sewing outdoors. Just have to be careful and I wouldn't do white unless you were staying inside.
FYI Lancaster, PA is a large Amish/Mennonite community, loaded with quilt/fabric shops.

Gladysew 07-20-2021 03:59 AM

Facebook suggestion

I recently joined RV Quilters Facebook page. They have an events page with shop hops and retreats listed. There are upcoming rv quilt retreats listed in PA ME and other places.

rjwilder 07-21-2021 03:10 AM

Never been on an RV quilt retreat, I just quilt in my RV while hubby goes kayaking and fishing. If the weather is nice I sit outside and sew at the picnic table.

Schill93 07-23-2021 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder (Post 8497449)
Never been on an RV quilt retreat, I just quilt in my RV while hubby goes kayaking and fishing. If the weather is nice I sit outside and sew at the picnic table.

Do you stay at an RV park with hook ups? I ask because I like to boondock and as you know there is no electricity. I purchased a Jackery solar generator, and have been able to sew for a few hours a day without depleting it. Put it out in the sun the next day hooked up to a portable solar panel and in about 4 hours, you can have your generator fully recharged to sew again..

tranum 07-23-2021 05:21 AM

Many big campgrounds in the warm states have quilting rooms for their winter guests so I anticipated joining, but found out all tables were taken so I didn’t get one. I was encouraged to put my name in for a table next year. The group was very nice so I visited often when I was out walking but we didn’t plan to return permanently without checking other campgrounds.

My husband likes to move around so we then moved to a different town for 2 months. I checked into their quilt group & one lady gave me a chilly reception. She told me I could sew in the library. (by myself ?) Their quilt room was smaller and she had a personal plastic storage unit (locked) in the room to store her supplies. It took up space for 2 more sewing tables. It’s the upright garden storage shed people have for rakes & shovels. She cleaned the laundry room so I suspect campground owners didn’t want to make her mad & let it go. Beyond a wall was the “Puzzle Room” and there was talk about moving puzzles to the Library and expanding the Quilt Room because they could see the need.