Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Here use a New Home sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-here-use-new-home-sewing-machine-t8631.html)

Melissa 06-30-2008 06:57 PM

I am going to try to get one off craigslist. Just wondered if anyone has one and likes/dislikes it. Best part about it...

IT'S FREE!

pocoellie 07-01-2008 04:33 AM

I used to have a New Home. It was a pretty good machine, it got used a lot though. If you're doing tons and tons of sewing I would recommend that you get a machine that has all metal parts. The New Home had a metal shaft but a plastic cam, and that was what needed to be replaced, so I replaced it with an Elna.

Melissa 07-01-2008 05:04 AM

Thanks pocoellie. The lady emailed me back that someone else wanted it. I'm not getting my hopes up. I really like the machine I have now, but I can never really turn down free stuff. :oops: Oh well, I guess it was meant to be this way.

Knot Sew 07-01-2008 08:49 AM

I think that is the brand thats is the Janome before the name change? :D

Lynne 07-01-2008 08:57 AM

I have a New Home and have used it ALOT for the past 20 years. I traded in a Singer (all plactic parts) for the New Home. At that time all of the gears and inner working parts were metal. I have not had to replace anything (knocking on wood) just having it cleaned once a year or so. I love it!! I also have a Baby Lock embroidery machine and I love that too. I wouldn't trade my New Home for anything.

sewmuch 07-01-2008 01:19 PM

I have 2 New Home/Janome machines and love them. Like someone said have them cleaned once a year or two, depending on use.

Skeat 07-02-2008 04:51 AM

Melissa, My mom has had a New Home for over 20yrs and it is on my 'inherit' list and I keep telling her now that I need to 'store' it over here:)). It is like a work horse! She sewed my wedding dress on it over 23yrs ago and it still sews like a dream. That is correct that Janome is the New Home now. Which I love too!! In fact actually have 3 different ones of Janome from the generic basic one, to the 'Hello Kitty' for the kid and class work and now my Janome 6600. I still will make plenty of room for the New Home if mom decides to upgrade soon to a embrod. machine. It sews fast and efficient! I can't believe you could pick one up for free!! What the luck!! Keep us posted on your treasure!! Skeat

ORSunshineQuilter 07-06-2008 09:51 AM

I have sewn on New Home/Janome machines since 1987. I am on my 5th, not because they wore out but because I upgraded. I love their machines! I don't think you will be sorry! I still have a 7000, 10000, and 11000.

vicki reno 07-16-2008 10:33 AM

I bought an old one at a flea market here in Raleigh years ago. It came with the book, attachemnts and a cabinet. I got it for $25.00. It just needs to have the tension adjusted, but its all metal so I know its old!

Bill'sBonBon 07-16-2008 10:47 AM

I have one LOL :lol: but it is a Treadle, I know this didn't help you much,But I had to say it. :lol: :lol: :lol: