Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone know how to make this block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-know-how-make-block-t168675.html)

LucyInTheSky 11-17-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 4690507)
Why couldn't you just cut the corner off, sew a strip on, then sew the cut off corner on, then square it up. There would be some waste, but not that much.

That's another thought I had. The lack of exactness was making me a little nervous :)

LucyInTheSky 11-17-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 4690725)
The pattern formed on the left is on Missouri Star Quilts tutorials for FREE -

Pattern on the left of what? Do you mean your avatar? Or in Amma's post? Or my original one? Sorry, got lost

LucyInTheSky 11-17-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by amma (Post 4690738)
Here are the templates for each of the blocks mentioned above

Thank you!

LucyInTheSky 11-17-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4690448)
Strip Tube technique would be your easiest way.

If doing it with charm squares, using your pink/green example ... sew a green and pink together to make 2 HSTs. Then on the green side, sew a piece of the pink on, in snowball fashion. You could probably get four of those corner pieces from one charm square.

Oh oh oh!! That's genius. I never thought of it as a snowball block. Thank you!

QuiltE 11-17-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 4690995)
Oh oh oh!! That's genius. I never thought of it as a snowball block. Thank you!

*blush* Thank you ... though I'd still opt for the tube technique ... faster, easier, and more accurate results!

amma 11-17-2011 03:06 PM

You are very welcome :) :) :)

Quiltaddict 11-17-2011 04:37 PM

I think paper piecing would be the easiest and most accurate.

kaylfordsollimo 11-18-2011 04:05 AM

Here is a "math teacher" suggestion for using your requirement of the charm square aspect: sew two charm squares together on the diagonal a la HST-style; press to set the seam and trim leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Next, draw a line where you want the parallel seam. Now, using the desired "trim triangle", position it along that line, right sides together, so that when stitched it will complete the square.
Note: the "trim triangle" will be a bit larger than needed so you could be "approximate" in placing it, if you are willing to square up the piece after adding that triangle. There should be a minimum of trim waste and the second "trim triangle" can be saved to be used in another project. Actually, all of the "extra" triangles could be sewn together to make HSTs.

Putz 11-18-2011 04:13 AM

It looks to me like the four quares are half square triangles with a snowball in one corner. Then the four squares are sewn together. Appears to be pretty simple. Cute idea.

mythreesuns 11-18-2011 04:25 AM

I saw a video on this block..and now I can not find it. They used 2 -- 2.5 inch strips and 1 -- 1.5 inch strip. Sewed the entire length together, then did the traingle cuts on the strips. She showed where you can put the 1.5 inch strip at the end or the middle and how each way looked. I thought I saved the tute... nope.. one of my brain fart moments I guess.