Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone know how to make this block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-know-how-make-block-t168675.html)

quiltgal 11-18-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 4690220)
I've seen this block before and was wondering if anyone could identify it or how to make it? I can see how to do it with strips, but I want to make it with charm squares (where both pink pieces would be from the same square). I also did a Paint mockup of the pattern when 4 blocks are put together. Ignore the mismatched points :) Without a lot of waste, I'm not sure what to do... Thanks!

This is not exactly the same, but if you don't make it into 4 pieces and use three, it will be the same. Here is the link:http://www.clothworks.com/pattern_download.asp?ID=216

LucyInTheSky 11-18-2011 03:33 PM

I'm trying to do it with charms, not tubes

Originally Posted by Linn (Post 4694328)
That looks like a block I seen on you tube and I think they call it tube quilting. You sew the strips together and then cut them. Go to you tube and type in "tube quilting".

butterflywing 11-18-2011 03:36 PM

it's not hard, as you said, but you can't do it and keep it the same size. you have to lose some to seam allowances.
you would lose .5" on the stripe part and .5" on the other part, altogether a lot. try it on paper.

cjsews 11-18-2011 04:02 PM

It looks llike a block from the nickle quilt books. Half sqare triangls with a smaller square sewn to one corner and pressed back.

d.swindle 11-18-2011 05:28 PM

that looks like the block that Rhoda is teaching on the EQ5 tut,go to archive for last monday,the 14th and check out her quilt block,

d.swindle

Geri B 11-19-2011 06:56 AM

looks like a hst block, but then one side has a smaller square layed on corner, sewn on diagonal folded back and made to look like a strip triangle.......I guess you would have to do the smaller square corner consistently on the same side of that hst to get the then finished first block (4 hst joined together) That is how I dissected it.
Geri

stichinluvr 11-19-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by amma (Post 4690738)
Here are the templates for each of the blocks mentioned above

Thanks Amma. I'll be trying this soon.

shelrox 11-19-2011 08:21 AM

This is an easy block to make, I have done it with 2 - 2 1/2" strips sewn rights side together up one side then placed on top of a 4 1/2" strip right sides together and sew up both sides. WHen tube is made you then cut triangles out and this enables you to open up the triangle up to make the block, you can set the blocks in either a square pattern or play with them and you can make a neat step down pattern. good luck and have fun

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 4690220)
I've seen this block before and was wondering if anyone could identify it or how to make it? I can see how to do it with strips, but I want to make it with charm squares (where both pink pieces would be from the same square). I also did a Paint mockup of the pattern when 4 blocks are put together. Ignore the mismatched points :) Without a lot of waste, I'm not sure what to do... Thanks!

fairydawn 11-19-2011 08:27 AM

Check out the U-Tube tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They have one very similar to it that I have done but do not remember the name. Hope you can find it.

ssnare 11-19-2011 08:45 AM

Cut 2 squares of equal size and draw a line diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner on the back of one of them. Put right sides together. Then stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. Cut on the line. Then take one smaller square for the corner. Draw a diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner on the back of the smaller square. Place the smaller square on corner. Have the diagonal line going the same direction of the first HST. Stitch on the line of smaller square. Trim to 1/4" seam. When you trim the material, you want the small triangle to fold back towards the corner. You will also trim the corner away from the HSt you first sewed. I hope this makes sense.