Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone make a living at quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-make-living-quilting-t57879.html)

BRenea 08-05-2010 10:48 AM

My MIL and I used to do a lot of craft fairs in years past, in the last couple of years we have shifted more to quilts...we do a lot of commissioned work. Last year we opened a new business, and this year I launched a blog. We do okay, make enough to buy what we need, it helps that we work from home. I'm glad my hubby has a good job, though! :D

Teresa 54 08-05-2010 12:30 PM

I did it for 15 years and burned out. All the deadlines!
I machine quilted for a business, made quilts for fabric companies, taught in a quilt shop, lectured, workshops at guilds, and worked in the quilt shop 4 days a week which kept me grounded. I was always tired and my relationship took a tole, I was always sewing, even as a passenger in the car.
now I work a real job and I feel like I go to work to rest because I am still doing the quilting for others, lecturers, workshops, classes at shops.

Sadiemae 08-05-2010 05:24 PM

I haven't yet, but I plan to try longarm quilting and custom quilting for just a little extra income per month. By the time I get some more of my tops done, I should be comfortable taking in other people's precious tops. I don't need to make a living, just add a little extra each month to be able to pay some of my bills off that just don't ever seem to get smaller.

Friendly Quilter 08-05-2010 08:49 PM

I machine quilted for others for over 10 years. At one point I had a bus. partner and we both had machines. We did about 40 to 50 quilts a month. I also made quilts for people. But you get tired of standing at the machine for 6 to 8 hrs a day. We made a good living at it but was very hard work. I still quilt for some but have really cut back. I have 12 quilt tops of my own waiting to be quilted. so there is a down side to quilting for others. I love the people in the quilting world and would not change a min. of any of the time I have spent quilting for others.

littlehud 08-06-2010 05:56 AM

I just quilt for relaxation. When I got my frame I swear quilters came out of the walls at the hospital I work at. I could have quilted tops for a year. The only problem I have is when it becomes a paying business it's not longer relaxing for me. I will quilt tops for my sis if she wants but that's all I'm looking for right now.

calla 08-06-2010 06:12 AM

I made a bargello jacket with lots of Judy Murrah techniques from Jacket Jazz...........I used high end fabrics lots of them.........has flying geese, PP fans, prarie braid..........sheesh.........a family friend asked my how much I would charge to make one for his wife. I told him he didn't have enough money.......gggg..........but that I would help his wife make on. Haven't heard another word about it from him............go figure..............calla/Sue

MomtoBostonTerriers 08-06-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Does anyone one here quilt and earn a good wage doing so?

Just reading this question makes me laugh me head off. It's hard to even imagine such a thing -- people who do it are talented geniuses for sure. It would be about the same as me making a living by selling my homemade chocolate chip cookies (my coworkers tell me I should do that).

SueDor 08-06-2010 06:58 AM

I just made a throw quilt and a lap quilt for a friend and I received money for it. It's hard to figure out how much to charge because, if you charge by hour, a quilt could cost into the high hundreds or more.

amandasgramma 08-06-2010 07:10 AM

I quilt for fun! And they're gifts for family.....the most expensive they'll get! I did sell totes, but I burned out after selling about 50 of them.

Lori S 08-06-2010 07:19 AM

Do be careful taking a loved hobby and converting to a business. It can go from fun, relaxing, and exciting to a chore, just like any other, and no time/energy for what you want to do.