Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For anyone that refurbishes old sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-refurbishes-old-sewing-machines-t42719.html)

Linda - K. 04-15-2010 08:31 AM

I have seen repainted ones on Ebay and love the colors. If you have one in good shape I wouldn't paint it. Like someone else said, I think the ones they paint are ones in poor condition. My Featherweight is in great condition and wouldn't think of painting it.

dixiechunk 04-15-2010 08:58 AM

IMHO refurbishing and painting an old machine (FW or other) should be done only to those machines that are so cosmetically challenged as to be useless. As I may have said before, I think it is unwise to repaint a FW in the original japanned black because someone, somewhere, sometime will try to pass it off as a "mint" or "pristine" condition FW.

Janette 04-15-2010 09:09 AM

Rather far away from you, but Johnny at the Pickle Dish Antiques & Sewing Emporium in Anthony, Florida repairs and reconditions old machines, including the cabinets. He specializes in Featherweights. You can contact him at 352-867-8035 or [email protected]. I've seen some of his work and it is beautiful.

PurplePassion 04-15-2010 09:10 AM

Thanks for all your opinions. I guess I will leave it "just plain black". I am planning on teaching my 4 year old GS on it this summer. Elaine

Lostn51 04-15-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
IMHO refurbishing and painting an old machine (FW or other) should be done only to those machines that are so cosmetically challenged as to be useless. As I may have said before, I think it is unwise to repaint a FW in the original japanned black because someone, somewhere, sometime will try to pass it off as a "mint" or "pristine" condition FW.

That is the reason I change the colors up when I repaint them. Also you are spot on about when to repaint of not.

There are some machines out there that I dont care how bad they look you should never even think about refinishing. But the common ones like my Singer 27 and the FW's if it is cosmetically challenged then its ok to paint.

I also always check the serial numbers and the amount of machines on the run before I repaint. If the serial is close to the start or finish of the run or the machine was a super short run I will not refinish it.

I always use automotive finishes on the machines I refinish and always do them in a Base/Clear coat and some times do a Pearl mid coat if thats what the customer wants.

But I never bake anything I paint, baking is for cakes not paint jobs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

rnjoy 04-15-2010 10:31 AM

www.deskdave.com. Tried the site listed and got all this info about being nonexisted...Is there some thing else to the address that is missing? Thanks
The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

1. You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

2. The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

3. The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

reginalovesfabric 04-15-2010 10:34 AM

I have two featherweights and purple being my favorite color I would never paint my black machines that color. To each his own.

dixiechunk 04-15-2010 02:57 PM

I just went there, the addy worked just fine. Probably just a fluke, try again...some amazing sights there.

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 03:25 PM

Oh LORD! I had no idea you could get old machines painted! For years I collected old machines and I have to say I was given some REALLY bad siezed up machines, which i couldn't do anything with..... wish I had known!

One of the machines I still have IS a featherweight!! Its in fabulous condition, was given to me by my sisters ex husband! It was his Grandma's and he wanted it 'kept by someone who cared' (which is why I still have it!!!) I have carried it around with me from house to house and county or country, and it wasn't until the internet really took off that I realised it was a featherweight and what that meant!

It has a little plaque on the back saying it was converted to British Electricity in 1947 (or 50 something - can't remember!) I always thought that made it a little special (don't know if it does!) Would you believe I have never sewn on it!

One day I will get her out and give her a go - if they are as good as you all say - might be a great first machine for my daughter? (and I wont have to fight her for one of my Berninas!!!)

By the Way - guess what colour I would paint a machine?

(I loved the red too)

zz-pd 04-15-2010 04:54 PM

If you paint something it loses value, I would not paint if it were mine. Penny