Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone thread crochet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-thread-crochet-t36705.html)

Oklahoma Suzie 02-12-2010 02:16 PM

Years ago, I made butterfly magnets for the fridge. But have not done anything lately.

BellaBoo 02-12-2010 02:50 PM

I like poly thread better than cotton for crochet. After laundering the item doesn't have to be stretched that much to lay flat and it is stronger then cotton thread. I bought a lot of America's Best crochet thread which is 100% Spun Polyester when it was on clearance a few years ago for $1 a ball. I have plenty to use up in white and ecru colors. It says Bedspread weight so I'd say a size 10. Each ball is 1000 yards. I really like Knit Cro Sheen for doilys but I can't find that anymore!

butterflywing 02-12-2010 02:55 PM

i once tried to teach myself to crochet. i started with a square potholder. it was the world's first trapezoidal potholder. never again.

fatnsassy 02-12-2010 06:20 PM

I do a lot of thread crocheting. I have to keep my hands busy when watching tv in the evenings. I make fancy, ( the harder the better) doilies. I have very few of them that I have made for I give them to everyone that will take one. It is an addiction that I have had for years, but I think that quilting is trying to take its place.

mpspeedy 02-12-2010 06:26 PM

I went through a phase when I made crocheted throws for everyone and everything. I wasn't very good at cotton thread crocheting. Your work is lovely. I like to buy the unique yarns they sell now and make a chain with them. I then couch it on plain fleece Linus blankets as trim.

tigger5464 02-12-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I started this pattern last night. I try to enter one crochet item in our district fair every Sept. So far I have won blue ribbons for crochet every year. Not as lucky with my quilt entries. :? :-D :-D :-D

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/...ocus+Doily.htm

Thank you for the link....I used to crochet constantly. Took it everywhere with me...even to work. LOL I, too used enter things in our local fair. I quit when I heard the judge make comments during the judging part. (quit entering things till I started quilting.) Her comments were about a bed doll that I made...She said (and I quote)...OH my God...what awful colors....Get it out of my sight!!! I absolutely hate those colors.
She didn't even look at the workmanship....just that she didn't like the color. It was a southern belle style with a pale blue dress and parasol. (it only took me 6 months to get the pattern right...designed my own. ) The same year I had entered 2 thread doilies with seed beads crocheted in and they both got blue ribbons. The thread was like sewing machine thread it was so tiny...I used a size 13 steel crochet hook. :D Had lots of fun stringing all the beads on for the pattern cuz you put them on backwards. :D Took a little bit of thinking :D but it was really fun for me. :D I have gotten away from crocheting since my hands aren't so good anymore but would love to get back to it. :D

Favorite Fabrics 02-12-2010 06:57 PM

I used to do all sorts of crocheting & knitting, a long, long time ago... let's say, back when I was in high school and had way more free time than I do now. I also used to enter things in our county fair. There used to be so many entries in knitting, sewing, crocheting, and embroidery that you were lucky if you even got your item on display. They used to have piles and piles of afghans, tea towels, and baby sets. Now they have a hard time filling up the space! Same thing with canned goods (though I never tried my hand at that). There is still quite a good showing, as to quilts. Guess that's the only art form that is still in vogue.

The doily pattern you're using is lovely. Do you have a round table to use it on?

Loretta 02-12-2010 10:20 PM

I made a doily similar to that many years ago but don't crochet anymore. Meybe I should do a little quilting and crocheting both. I always enjoyed doing it.

CRH 02-12-2010 10:39 PM

Used to crochet a lot, have been wanting to do a project again, so thanks for the link!!

newfiegirl 02-13-2010 05:53 AM

I have done some paper piecing. If you go to www.quilterscache.com, and check out the lessons section, you will find a wealth of info re: this and other things. There is also a host of free (~1400) patterns you can download, including multiple paper piecing, simple and a little more complicated. I like paper piecing, since I don't have to worry about matching seams (I'm a fairly new quilter). Good Luck!