Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone use one of those pressing/cutting combo things? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-use-one-those-pressing-cutting-combo-things-t14418.html)

beetle 12-14-2008 03:08 PM

You know, they have the pressing on one side and cutting on the other. I think I need something like that. My sewing table isn't big enogh for even my travel sized ironing board.
Do they work out OK?

MAXIES2 12-14-2008 03:21 PM

I have seen these, but I did not think they were very big, perhaps you can get different sizes, I will be interested to see the replies.
Katherien

beetle 12-14-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIES2
I have seen these, but I did not think they were very big, perhaps you can get different sizes, I will be interested to see the replies.
Katherien

They do come in different sizes. I just need something big enough to press blocks as I go. Then when I have rows to press, I'll get my lazy but up and go to the ironing board. But it's a pain to have to do that for every seam in a block.

Moonpi 12-14-2008 04:37 PM

I have the small one, a little ovr 12" that I use for small things. I can sit on my bed and watch tv while assembling tiny appliques. I use a tiny Clover iron for that, not sure how it would be with a full sized iron.

I also like it to sqaure up small blocks. I think I got it at a Joanne's 50% off sale, but some of the bigger ones are horribly pricey.

auntluc 12-14-2008 05:22 PM

I thought I just had to have a 12" X 18" one...I still use my table top ironing board for just about everything. At 20+ dollars they aren't worth the price of $1.00 per inch which is what they average out to.
Oh and one more thing, it's very easy to forget that you should be ironing on one side and cutting on the other...hey, accidents happen but don't ask me how I know that. lol.

PamH 12-14-2008 05:45 PM

I have the 12 x 18 size. I love it and use it all the time. I have it setting on a wooden TV tray right now with the ironing side up. Great for the crumb block quilt i'm working on.

beetle 12-14-2008 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PamH
I have the 12 x 18 size. I love it and use it all the time. I have it setting on a wooden TV tray right now with the ironing side up. Great for the crumb block quilt i'm working on.

Yes exactly. Crumb blocks are what I wanted to work on but the way my area is set up now, it's just not practical to sew a couple peices together, get up, walk over to the table top ironing board on the other table, press then head back to the sewing cabinet, add another peice, lather rinse repeat.

I thought if I just had one of those medium sized pressing mats to keep at the sewing cabinet, it might help.

Lynda in TN 12-14-2008 06:57 PM

This may not work for you, but...

My sewing table is a Costco foldup table...maybe four by six feet? I take a sheet and fold it several times to just cover the table, then put my machine, etc., on it. I have a small travel iron that I keep on it, too. When making blocks and smaller things, I press directly on the table itself and it works great for me.

I do have one of the smaller boards like you are talking about. I, too, think it is too small for most things, but it was the first I bought. It does work. I have brought mine from FL to TN standing in the back of the van behind a chest of drawers and the pad has come loose...but I am going to repair it with superglue.

Hope this helps!

Cyndi H 12-14-2008 07:38 PM

I have the 12 x 18 one and love it - just used it to make a wall hanging that was about 15 x 18.

Marcia 12-14-2008 07:46 PM

I have the 12 X 18" too. I have only used it for classes or retreats, but I do like it when I use it. I used a 40% off coupon to buy mine and I think it is worth the money.