Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone use one of those pressing/cutting combo things?

You know, they have the pressing on one side and cutting on the other. I think I need something like that. My sewing table isn't big enogh for even my travel sized ironing board.
    Do they work out OK?

I have seen these, but I did not think they were very big, perhaps you can get different sizes, I will be interested to see the replies.
    Katherien

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIES2
    I have seen these, but I did not think they were very big, perhaps you can get different sizes, I will be interested to see the replies.
    Katherien
    They do come in different sizes. I just need something big enough to press blocks as I go. Then when I have rows to press, I'll get my lazy but up and go to the ironing board. But it's a pain to have to do that for every seam in a block.

I have the small one, a little ovr 12" that I use for small things. I can sit on my bed and watch tv while assembling tiny appliques. I use a tiny Clover iron for that, not sure how it would be with a full sized iron.

I also like it to sqaure up small blocks. I think I got it at a Joanne's 50% off sale, but some of the bigger ones are horribly pricey.

I thought I just had to have a 12" X 18" one...I still use my table top ironing board for just about everything. At 20+ dollars they aren't worth the price of $1.00 per inch which is what they average out to.
    Oh and one more thing, it's very easy to forget that you should be ironing on one side and cutting on the other...hey, accidents happen but don't ask me how I know that. lol.

I have the 12 x 18 size. I love it and use it all the time. I have it setting on a wooden TV tray right now with the ironing side up. Great for the crumb block quilt i'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by PamH
    I have the 12 x 18 size. I love it and use it all the time. I have it setting on a wooden TV tray right now with the ironing side up. Great for the crumb block quilt i'm working on.
    Yes exactly. Crumb blocks are what I wanted to work on but the way my area is set up now, it's just not practical to sew a couple peices together, get up, walk over to the table top ironing board on the other table, press then head back to the sewing cabinet, add another peice, lather rinse repeat.

I thought if I just had one of those medium sized pressing mats to keep at the sewing cabinet, it might help.

This may not work for you, but...

My sewing table is a Costco foldup table...maybe four by six feet? I take a sheet and fold it several times to just cover the table, then put my machine, etc., on it. I have a small travel iron that I keep on it, too. When making blocks and smaller things, I press directly on the table itself and it works great for me.

I do have one of the smaller boards like you are talking about. I, too, think it is too small for most things, but it was the first I bought. It does work. I have brought mine from FL to TN standing in the back of the van behind a chest of drawers and the pad has come loose...but I am going to repair it with superglue.

Hope this helps!

I have the 12 x 18 one and love it - just used it to make a wall hanging that was about 15 x 18.

I have the 12 X 18" too. I have only used it for classes or retreats, but I do like it when I use it. I used a 40% off coupon to buy mine and I think it is worth the money.

I have the 12X18 and use it all the time. I found a small folding table at Walmart. It sets beside my sewing machine. It saves a lot of time getting up and down to go press or trim a piece. I always take it to classes and retreats. I just have to swivel my chair to change from sewing to cutting/pressing. When you do this you lose the excersise movements of walking arcoss the room. I look at it this way I get a lot more done! I am waiting for the day that I forget to turn it over!
    Cut on the pressing side or press on the cutting side.
    Get swiveling and get more done!
    Connie

If you have a wooden TV tray, you can put your padding down and then put some of the Teflon coated? silver stuff on top and staple it down or sew elastic on it, that way you can have it close to your table.

I have never used anything between the folded sheet and the Costco plastic table and have had no problems at all...no burns, stains, or anything. I remember when I was a kid my grandmother used to put a bath towel on her table to press things...same principle!

I had one about 8 years ago, but the cotton cover got too brittle and shredded. At quilt market one year, I complained to the sales rep and she gave me a new one. At a quilt class, sure enough... a student forgot to turn it over and I got a slice in it. :roll: Oh well.

Besides, having to get up and walk across the room to the ironing board and cutting table helps avoid Quilters Butt.

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by PamH
    Yes exactly. Crumb blocks are what I wanted to work on but the way my area is set up now, it's just not practical to sew a couple peices together, get up, walk over to the table top ironing board on the other table, press then head back to the sewing cabinet, add another peice, lather rinse repeat.

I thought if I just had one of those medium sized pressing mats to keep at the sewing cabinet, it might help.
    Beetle, I use a small wooden table (garden) with an old sheet folded over several times to fit the top, I iron on one half and have a small cutting mat and rotary cutter next to it. I find as it is lower that my sewing table its easier to iron and cut, I just swivel round on my chair:D Here's a picture...if I can find it lol!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of those and really like it. I have brought it to class, but I really like to set it up near my machine to do my pressing and trimming of blocks. I do my preliminary cutting on my bigger cutting mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    I had one about 8 years ago, but the cotton cover got too brittle and shredded. At quilt market one year, I complained to the sales rep and she gave me a new one. At a quilt class, sure enough... a student forgot to turn it over and I got a slice in it. :roll: Oh well.

Besides, having to get up and walk across the room to the ironing board and cutting table helps avoid Quilters Butt.
    Not only do I "worry" about quilter's butt, but also I have a problem with circulation and swollen feet. I set up my ironing board in the utility room at the other end of the house. The walking and standing for pressing large pieces is a good thing. But for the little in-between pressings I use my 12 x 18 mat. I set it up on the top of a little chest of drawers and set my iron on a pad. I also use the little Clover pressing tool there.

I hadn't read through the whole thread. Disregard.