Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? for those who use liquid starch before cutting >

? for those who use liquid starch before cutting

? for those who use liquid starch before cutting

Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Default ? for those who use liquid starch before cutting

I just dipped some dry fabric in liquid starch and it seemed to use a lot of starch. I mixed it 50/50. My question is do you dip dry or wet fabric in the starch? I was wondering since I wash my fabric first if it would use less starch if I dipped it wet and would I get the same results as dipping dry. Btw I love the starched fabric...
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

The 50/50 mix (using Sta-Flo) is what I use, but I do not dip the fabric. I "paint" the starch onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush, then wait a few minutes to make sure the starch has had a chance to penetrate the fibers of the fabric. It depends on how much yardage I am starching, but usually I just mix up 1 cup of water with 1 cup of starch at a time in a fairly small kitchen bowl (large enough for the paint brush to fit in, though). When I use that up, I mix up another batch.

I do this with dry, unwashed fabric but I think it would work fine with washed, damp fabric too.

Not sure how you dried the fabric. I just toss mine in the dryer, then iron with steam. Steam reactivates the starch.

I think you will find that the painting method uses a lot less starch than dipping.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM

I put my fabric in the dryer and then ironed. Next time I will try using a brush but I didn't have a clean one and was wanting to get this fabric ready to start cutting my next project.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Depending on the project, I sometimes dip and sometimes I spray. When I have a pattern with a lot of bias edges, I wash the fabric, and, when the wash cycle is done, I dip the wet fabric in a 50/50 mix of sta flo and water. I wring it out pretty well, flatten it out and throw it in the dryer for a bit, then iron when it's still damp. Really helps keep those bias edges in shape.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Now, the age old ? of washing fabric before using it. Dipping or painting unwashed fabric can cause it to shrink unevenly. I know this from experience.

I always wash & damp dry fabric first. This gets the fabric to an evenly shrunk state and then starch any way you like. When I dip I use 50/50 and just hang to dry. I also spray sometimes and press dry. Always let the starch soak into the
fabric before pressing to avoid flaking.
peace
Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 PM

I don't pre-wash my fabrics, as a general rule. I use Sta-Flo brand, 50/50 and spray heavily on the right side of the fabrics I'll be using at least 2 hours ahead of that time, then I'll either air dry it or stick in the drier for a few minutes. I spray mist with water before ironing.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

back when clothes needed to be starched and ironed, my mother would use the starch in the washer full of clothes and then spin it... they were not put on the line to dry. we had to iron them soon after.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 AM

It depends on how stiff I want the fabric. The more the fabric absorbs the stiffer it will be. I dip and allow the fabric to dry on a clothes rack.
If you don want a particularly stiff fabric, use your solution in a spray bottle and iron in a few minutes.