Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Apple Core.........Help Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/apple-core-help-please-t67349.html)

ChubbyBunny 09-28-2010 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am trying to teach myself how to make an apple core quilt. I'm not having much luck so far. :-(

After I sew the pieces together, they do not lie flat.....they ripple. I'm hoping my photos will give you an idea of what I am doing so you can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Should I be sewing the apple core blocks in rows? Should I be clipping & turning all four sides of the block?

Would one or more of you lovely people please help me figure out what the problem is? Thank you in advance!

Lots of rippling =(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108215[/ATTACH]

freezer paper template on the fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108216[/ATTACH]

This shows what I am clipping & turning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108217[/ATTACH]

wolfkitty 09-28-2010 10:16 PM

You need to clip wherever you have a curve, so, in this case, that would be all sides. Also, when sewing on the curves, it's very, very important not to stretch at all. I'm sure there are others that have more helpful advice also.

Sadiemae 09-28-2010 10:20 PM

I am confused, if that square is 1", your seam allowance looks larger than 1/4". It is kind of hard for me to tell. I am really not sure as I have never made one, it just looks larger than 1/4". I really don't starch much, but I wonder if this is one of those patterns where it would really help.
Good luck, I am off to bed. There will be lots of ladies on in several hours and they will be able to help you.

ChubbyBunny 09-28-2010 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
You need to clip wherever you have a curve, so, in this case, that would be all sides. Also, when sewing on the curves, it's very, very important not to stretch at all. I'm sure there are others that have more helpful advice also.

Thanks, wolfkitty! I had a feeling I was supposed to be clipping all four curves.

ChubbyBunny 09-28-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I am confused, if that square is 1", your seam allowance looks larger than 1/4". It is kind of hard for me to tell. I am really not sure as I have never made one, it just looks larger than 1/4". I really don't starch much, but I wonder if this is one of those patterns where it would really help.
Good luck, I am off to bed. There will be lots of ladies on in several hours and they will be able to help you.

You are correct, Sadiemae. My seam allowance was larger than 1/4". I was cutting them with a 1/2" seam allowance because I didn't think it would matter if it was being turned under. Guess it does. LOL!

Holice 09-28-2010 10:47 PM

oh yes it does matter. only 1/4" seam allowance otherwise they won't fit together. Remember.....1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise indicated which is almost never.

clem55 09-29-2010 04:22 AM

Clip little V's on curves, it helps, no stretching, and make sure you match centers to start your pinning.

sewmuchmore 09-29-2010 04:27 AM

I would really starch it, to help to prevent it from stretching. :thumbup:

grammyp 09-29-2010 05:24 AM

Are you English Paper Piecing them? Mine did that, but when I took the paper out, they flattened nicely.

#1piecemaker 09-29-2010 05:38 AM

Are you piecing on the machine or by hand? This pattern is really made for hand piecing. Everything goes together much nicer by doing it by hand. You just start at the end and gradually work your way around easing it together as you go. Be sure to keep that near perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance. That is the key to making everything match up right. I have done two of these and helped a couple of friends on theirs. They are great looking. The ones with a few bright colors really pop. Good luck. I wish I had a video camera. I'd just show you how to do it. With hand piecing you don't have to clip curves. Good luck! Keep us updated.