Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

juliasb 07-19-2019 04:20 AM

I am not crazy about raw edge applique either but I am working on a quilt (the quilt from hell) right now that I have no choice but to do raw edge applique if I am every going to be able to fix and finish this quilt.

juliasb 07-19-2019 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this quilt with freezer paper many years ago. I did another queen size quilt but am not able to find the pic right now.

gidget rmsybkrgrl 07-21-2019 07:30 AM

is there a way to make a thread a favorite so u can follow it and know how to get back to it, like a shortcut?

sewingitalltogether 07-21-2019 07:36 AM

Yes, when responding to a message, hit the go advanced button. It will show an option below the message that asks if you want to subscribe to the message and changes to it. Click the box. Then post your message.

nanna-up-north 07-21-2019 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished up another block Friday night so thought I'd post it here. I need to add these most recent blocks to my LBB album, too. I have already done the applique for this whole set of 4 blocks so doing the embellishment isn't taking too many evenings to finish them up. Then, when I start the next set of 4 blocks I'll be slower because of all the applique I'll have to do. I do love this quilt and would like to make a big dent in getting it done this summer.

The first picture is the before embellishing one. The second picture is after embellishing. The basket on this one was made by weaving bias tubes and sewing them to the background. I know, I'm a crazy quilting lady.

sewingitalltogether 07-21-2019 09:17 AM

Jean,
That is just stunning. Can't believe how much the embroidery and inking adds to the block. No trouble with an 8" block?

juliasb 07-21-2019 09:35 AM

This thread only bean a couple days ago and I cannot keep up with it already. Thousands of us love to do applique quilts. I for one am humbled by the beautiful quilts and blocks that have been made by so many. Some here are true masters.

nanna-up-north 07-21-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 8279347)
Jean,
That is just stunning. Can't believe how much the embroidery and inking adds to the block. No trouble with an 8" block?

8" is the finished block size so I start with a 10" square. Hand applique does tend to pull up some fabric so I'm afraid I'd have a block too small if I cut it to size in the beginning. I also stuff batting in flower petals so they are more puffy and stand out. I will cut the blocks to 8 1/2" square when I'm ready to start assembling it.

Yes, the embellishing does bring the block to life. They look so drab before all the glitz is added.

I've added these to my album if anyone wants to go over to my profile and see those.

nanna-up-north 07-21-2019 11:33 AM

Juliasb, there's never too many applique quilts/blocks to see are there? I just love to see the applique that people are making.

sewingitalltogether 07-22-2019 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I'm working on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615083[/ATTACH]
It Bouquets for a New Day by Sue Garmin.
It's a 16" finished , but I start with an 18" block. Ive got lots of pieces ready to sew down . Tomorrow is my sewing day so I'm ready.