Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

kwiltkrazy 11-14-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I just took a Hawaiian Applique class with Jean Brown today. Looks like I need lots of time and lots of patience. Whoohoo! Not quite ready for the club yet - but I did a pretty mean point today!

If you mean you're not ready for this club, you're wrong! All stages are welcome here.

Really would like to see what you did in your class, I just love hawaiian applique, we have a lady in our guild that does that, it is spectacular.

kwiltkrazy 11-14-2010 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my latest applique.

BonniFeltz 11-14-2010 05:28 PM

Nicely done!

kwiltkrazy 11-14-2010 05:39 PM

Thanks Bonni, I am really learning a lot. I finally got the leaves looking natural. Those pointy parts are definitely hard, but I definitely learned from them.

BonniFeltz 11-14-2010 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I totally understand. I finished working on the curvy parts for the flower here but not sure what I'll do with the next initial. It has some VERY small leaves on it that curve.

kwiltkrazy 11-14-2010 10:53 PM

That looks hard, good luck.

Suz 11-15-2010 09:20 AM

Looks like Bonni and KK used batiks. They are really hard to applique for me. Did you find difficulty also? When real batiks are made, they use very very hot water to heat set the dyes, thus the threads shrink and the thread density is high. Both of you are doing great. Color choices are wonderful. Just keep at it. As you know, this is my favorite type of quilting. Suzanne

BonniFeltz 11-15-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Looks like Bonni and KK used batiks. They are really hard to applique for me. Did you find difficulty also? When real batiks are made, they use very very hot water to heat set the dyes, thus the threads shrink and the thread density is high. Both of you are doing great. Color choices are wonderful. Just keep at it. As you know, this is my favorite type of quilting. Suzanne

Perhaps my Batiks aren't real ones (grins). I love working with them. On the other hand, I have some fabric that came from Ghana. My boss tries to bring some back for me each year. THOSE fabrics are very dense and I haven't worked with them yet. They also feel stiff so not sure how to wash them even.

Suz 11-15-2010 11:02 AM

Bonnie,

If I have my drothers, I'll choose the less dense and softer ones unless there is a color I cannot live without. It is nice of your boss to remember you with something so useful.

S

babydragon 11-15-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together!

count me in...just starting my very first project and it is hand applique. y'all can cheer me on and keep me from frustration.
I needed something lite and portable to work on when I wait out my hubbys long work day and have to stay in town to pick him up at the train station. :lol: