Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

jasming 11-14-2011 04:33 AM

would love to try needle turn applique

I have been cruising around the web trying to find a pattern for my first needle turn applique. I have pieced for years but would love to try needle turn applique. If you have any favorite patterns let me know!

KarenMR 11-14-2011 05:22 AM

I hand applique. I do one square at a time. I can carry it with me where-ever I go, like the Dr.'s office. I'm lucky to get anything done, but one young boy was so fascinated with my work, his dad took him straight to the quilt store. I'm never lonely. I can also sit & work on it while watching tv. I don't really "watch" tv. I grew up on radio. I prefer to hand quilt, but I'm so busy I often pay to have it machine quilted. My sister in Oklahoma has a long arm quilter, so I get the family rate, which includes free delivery! She even took a picture of my grandson getting his birthday quilt.

joan3111 11-14-2011 05:34 AM

Please count me in - I LOVE to machine applique

Steady Stiching 11-14-2011 05:35 AM

I had read when I was starting out that the most used shape when teaching needle turn is a heart, It has it all, an innie point, an outie point and a curve.
Here's some patterns with not too much detail, look on the right for the applique patterns.

http://www.patchpieces.com/sharingpatch.html

mash43quilter 11-14-2011 05:56 AM

I love applique. Only been quilting a year and at the same time started applique. Took classes on the plastic template method. Love it. Then our guild had Nancy Lee Chong here doing her Hawaiian applique, which is needle turn. Must say I really enjoyed that and would take her class again.
In January at our LQS we have a class starting, Applique 6 ways. Really looking forwrd to that.

Will try to follow this on the group but I am so lost I may never find you again. Will this be under the main topics???

dd 11-14-2011 06:01 AM

I'm in too! I just finished appliqueing a Sunbonnet Sue by hand and now I'm hand quilting it for a Christmas present. I found I really enjoy hand applique and asked for more silk thread colors for Christmas.

sherian 11-14-2011 07:49 AM

sun bonnet sue & sam

Originally Posted by dd (Post 4677475)
I'm in too! I just finished appliqueing a Sunbonnet Sue by hand and now I'm hand quilting it for a Christmas present. I found I really enjoy hand applique and asked for more silk thread colors for Christmas.

I also am working on Sue bonnet sue & sam for Christmas present for Mom. It is my first, I have tried a few samples, not sure which I like best. Have fun & enjoy the sewing.
One sample is the angel on pag 75. I like this one best.

thepolyparrot 11-14-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by KarenMR (Post 4677177)
I'm lucky to get anything done, but one young boy was so fascinated with my work, his dad took him straight to the quilt store.

Well, isn't that wonderful!? You inspired someone into a whole new world. :) And how nice that you have a longarmer in the family! :)

I keep a little project bag ready to go all the time, too - I have my iPod full of interesting things to listen to - including the old time radio shows from the 30's & 40's. And the applique keeps my hands busy, so I'm kept out of trouble. ;)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-14-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire (Post 1587200)
I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.

I'm with you KathyAire. I H-A-T-E hand work too that is why I have my friend's 90 year-old mom sew all my bindings on my quilts. She loves it. I do the raw edge machine applique also. I think the results are just as interesting and pretty.

:D
Diane:D

Gramma Becca 11-14-2011 08:51 AM

Applique Club

Sounds great... I would love to join... I have tried raw edge machine applique on my own... not real satisfied with results.