Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t211921.html)

nycquilter 01-25-2013 04:06 AM

I'm with the no-hoop crowd. I do hand applique like a fiend and have never used a hoop. When I do embroidery or cross-stitch by hand, I always hoop. I think I would find it awkward to keep having to move a hoop plus awkward to use in applique work. JMHO

faykilgore 01-25-2013 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl (Post 5811819)
No hoop here, either. Just a dot of glue, a toothpick to tuck in the wild threads, YLI silk threads and needle turn. That's my way.

Ditto for me. I have discovered starching the background fabric helps.

franc36 01-25-2013 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5811827)
I never use a hoop for any type of applique, and I have done, freezer paper method, needle turn, and fusible with hand buttonhole stitch, I also do alot of hand embroidery and have never used a hoop.

Same with me. I am now working on a redwork block. The instructions say to use a hoop. I tried the hoop for a few stitches; but was most comfortable not using it. I think my embroidery looks great without a hoop and, for me, it is so much easier. When I use a satin stitch or a buttonhole stitch on my machine, I do use a stabilizer.

Dragonomine 01-25-2013 05:02 AM

Nope! Never used one!

QuiltnNan 01-25-2013 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5811751)
I've done a whole lot of fusible machine applique and I've never used a hoop. I don't use stabilizers either but I don't do satin stitch.

me too. i usually use the blanket stitch

dcamarote 01-25-2013 06:49 AM

I am just starting to do needle turned applique. I do not use a hoop.

Donnamarie 01-25-2013 07:22 AM

I love applique and do it all by hand and never used a hoop with applique. I don't think it would allow you to hold the fabric correctly to be able to applique. I don't like the flat look of machine applique, its not for me. I have tried all applique methods but what works best for me is to trace around your applique piece. There are a few good white mechanical pencils available which are great for tracing, they make a good thin line to work with. I baste the applique piece to the background fabric. By doing this, you do not have to work around pins or freezer paper curling off. I also always applique using a flat toothpick. I keep in my mouth and use it to turn the fabric under. By it being wet, it makes it easier to grab the fabric and turn it under. I find it much easier than using a needle. Good luck!

ittybittybet 01-25-2013 07:53 AM

Hi Gayle,

I have taught hand quilting and I love doing applique. Just remember that books are helps for us. We all have to find a way to do it on our own. I will tell you about my experience. I found out that I hate using hoops to do applique. I use old cereal boxes or cracker boxes. I cut my pieces to be appliqued out of those boxes, then I put that on my fabric and cut a smidgen more than 1/4 inch away from the outside edge .You need a little extra fabric to turn around the cereal box. Then I use non-aerosol spray starch and spray the seam allowance and then I iron the seam of fabric around the cereal box. Then I take the cereal box out and I pin my applique piece in place on my quilt. The piece is all turned under and it has some starch in it so it is a little stiff. Also, it has some height because of the thickness of the cereal box. I simply put a pin in the center of my applique piece and then I applique the piece down. If I were you, I would make some pieces to practice with before you actually start your project. Happy appliqueing!

narnianquilter 01-25-2013 08:48 AM

I used a hoop for any hand applique, but with my machine I have found the easiest thing to do is fuse the fabric together (Steam a Seam Lite has worked well, and Heat Bond) and then use a satin stitch all the way around the edges. I would use a fancier stitch, but I have the most basic of machines. When I do any hand work, the blanket stitch works really well!

narnianquilter 01-25-2013 08:54 AM

I used a hoop for any hand applique, but with my machine I have found the easiest thing to do is fuse the fabric together (Steam a Seam Lite has worked well, and Heat Bond) and then use a satin stitch all the way around the edges. I would use a fancier stitch, but I have the most basic of machines. When I do any hand work, the blanket stitch works really well!