Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t211921.html)

Gayle8675309 01-24-2013 10:38 PM

Applique question.

I am in the process of teaching myself applique. I have three books and have also been watching youtube videos.

My question: Do you use embroidery hoops when you stitch down your applique pieces? One of my books have embroidery hoops listed on the "tools" page, but other than that I haven't seen or read of anyone using embroidery hoops.

Any answers for those who applique will be appreciated. :)

Gayle

Scissor Queen 01-24-2013 10:54 PM

I've done a whole lot of fusible machine applique and I've never used a hoop. I don't use stabilizers either but I don't do satin stitch.

janedee 01-24-2013 11:00 PM

I do needleturn applique and have never used a hoop and never had any problems, I think using a hoop would be difficult as you may not get the tension correct on the fabric you are appliqueing to you could end up with the patch 'bubbling' up. I don't use any stabilisers either or starch unless the pieces are very small.

Knitette 01-24-2013 11:02 PM

Never used a hoop. I use stabiliser and blanket stitch (see my avatar), very occasionally, a zig-zag stitch.

QM 01-24-2013 11:22 PM

I don't like working with a hoop, but my machine dealer recommends using them.

DOTTYMO 01-24-2013 11:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Applique inch by hand I never use a hoop and at present not using a stabiliser. When I have finished block I starch and press. I tend to scrunch the piece in my hand while sewing and it always looks terrible when finished. This is a finished reverse applique done this way.

lynnie 01-25-2013 12:06 AM

I do alot of applique by hand annd ma hine. Never use a hoop. Just strip piecedeaster eggs and pinned them xown then did a zig zag. No heat n bond, or anything. Then again, itspast 3 am and joanns is out, so i had to wing it. Small pcs, i stick down with a bond. Hand i pin down.

virtualbernie 01-25-2013 02:35 AM

I have done it both ways and I think my hand applique looks better when I use a hoop. I find that when I get the puckering it's when I'm not using the hoop. My fabric is in the hoop taut, not stretched and the nicely starched applique piece stays in place with one little dot of glue and no stabilizer. I've never done reverse applique so I can't speak to that. I've never been able to do machine applique that looked nice so I'm a hand applique kinda girl :D.

sandyl 01-25-2013 03:15 AM

No hoop here, either. Just a dot of glue, a toothpick to tuck in the wild threads, YLI silk threads and needle turn. That's my way.

Jackie Spencer 01-25-2013 03:39 AM

I never use a hoop for any type of applique, and I have done, freezer paper method, needle turn, and fusible with hand buttonhole stitch, I also do alot of hand embroidery and have never used a hoop.