Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Argument over sewing over pins! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/argument-over-sewing-over-pins-t201287.html)

Neesie 09-23-2012 06:55 AM

Sometimes hitting the presser foot or needle plate is BECAUSE the needle has previously hit a pin and bent.

jcrow 09-23-2012 06:59 AM

I find I pin quite a bit when I am lining up seams and I don't pull out the pins. I have never bent nor broken a needle or pin. I think it must be because I go slow. I always forget to pull the pins out before I reach them. I've been doing this for years.

dunster 09-23-2012 07:13 AM

He asked what is the difference, and I would say none - both are to be avoided!

That said, I sometimes leave in the pin and sew VERY slowly, so slowly that if the needle starts to hit the pin I can tell whether it's going to hit head-on or slide to the side. And I'm glad that my old eyes need glasses, because they have provided protection more than once when I hit the needle plate. (Usually that happens right after I clean the machine. During cleaning I accidentally change the machine's setting to zigzag. I hate it when that happens!)

QuiltnNan 09-23-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bellaboo (Post 5534825)
my rule for sewing over pins is sometimes i sew over pins, sometimes i take them out. I never break my rule. Lol

lol lol

ArtsyOne 09-23-2012 07:35 AM

I have the same rule as Bella Boo - when garment sewing and easing in a sleeve, where there might be a pin every quarter inch, then I sew over it. Verrrry slowly. When I'm piecing a quilt, I rarely pin at all.

Jan in VA 09-23-2012 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5534825)
My rule for sewing over pins is sometimes I sew over pins, sometimes I take them out. I never break my rule. LOL

You're so cute!! :D
That's my rule too, and I also never break it. :p

Jan in VA

Krisb 09-23-2012 08:05 AM

Even when quilting, there are times when I need to ease in a little, especially when attaching borders. Not able to keep that precise 1/4" after all these years. Even if those long pieces start at exactly the same size, the feed dogs have a tendency to feed the lower fabric at a slightly quicker pace. Not enough to matter, except over five feet it does make a difference. I'm with Dunster's--slow down approaching the pin and see if it will hit it or not. Take it out if you must.

GrannieAnnie 09-23-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK (Post 5534602)
I NEVER EVER sew over pins, and impress upon my pupils to do the same then I had a visit yesterday from my gentleman volunteer for Project Linus quilts, and we started discussing needle breakages, I had just broken 5 in one evening, don't ask, and he said he rarely breaks needles just on the odd occasion when he sewed over a pin and hit it!

I was horrified, his wife agreed with me, but his reply was, what is the difference in hitting a pin and hitting a foot or the sewing plate, you know when you have the wrong one in!

I didn't have an answer, do you?

My machine doesn't act up if I sew over pins. I try not to, depends on the item. On a set in sleeve------believe me, I'll sew over the pin, don't have enough hands NOT to.

ckcowl 09-23-2012 08:21 AM

i don't really see an *argument* situation here- simply a difference of opinion- but i would state that SAFETY should always come first- and to deliberatly leave pins in (hoping) that you will never hit one is not practicing safety.
I hit a pin once that broke my needle- one piece of the needle flew up & hit the center of my glasses- and actually stuck in the lens! if i had not had my glasses on i may have lost that eye...scared the crap out of me! i never ever leave in pins now--and teach everyone i am helping to never ever leave them in (& for some people i recommend safty glasses :D)
it's bad enough to break needles because of a mechanical problem- its just plain unsafe to leave things in the way on purpose risking injury---it's all fun til someone gets hurt!

auntpiggylpn 09-23-2012 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5534825)
My rule for sewing over pins is sometimes I sew over pins, sometimes I take them out. I never break my rule. LOL

I like your rule!!! I admit I sew over my pins. Occasionaly, I will hit one and bend it. I've had to get my pliers out to remove it from the bobbin area. I think speed and pin placement has a lot to do with it. I waver back and forth and sometimes I do remove the pins as I am sewing to it. I have a friend in Florida that is a new quilter and when he was here in August, I was helping him work on finishing his first quilt. I did stress to him that he shouldn't sew over the pins, that he should remove them. (Do as I say, not as I do!!) Old habits are very hard to break!