Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Argument over sewing over pins! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/argument-over-sewing-over-pins-t201287.html)

sniktasemaj 09-25-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5535083)
My machine doesn't act up if I sew over pins. I try not to, depends on the item. On a set in sleeve------believe me, I'll sew over the pin, don't have enough hands NOT to.

On set in sleeves, I use the old fashioned method--basting.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-25-2012 05:37 AM

I used to sew over pins with my older machines. i think they wer designed so you could do that. I was told never to sew over an uncovered pin. As long as it's under the material it's okay. Since I have electronic machines I don't do that. I'm afraid of messing up my machines.

JReadman 09-25-2012 08:02 AM

I always used to sew over pins when using my old basic Kenmore. When I first got my new Horizon I continued with my old ways, hit a pin and had pieces of the needle fly apart. That was enough to convince me to retrain myself to pull the pins rather than going over them.

Prissnboot 09-25-2012 09:02 AM

When I have to use pins, usually for binding or sashing or something requiring more than a 4" seam, I place the pins so that they are not close to the seam. I sew, no pins in the way, then remove the pins afterwards. Sometimes a bit of a pain, but it works.

GrannieAnnie 09-25-2012 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by sniktasemaj (Post 5539833)
On set in sleeves, I use the old fashioned method--basting.

unfortunately, I have to pin before I can baste-----------so we're back to pins. And I'm too lazy to do both.

Gabrielle's Mimi 09-25-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5534811)
My Mom would shutter if she knew how many times I have sewn over pins. Its my single worst habit. But I do at least slow down when approaching a pin.
In my defense , there are times when matching up a really tough area.. its just seems like the best method to keep it all exactly in place till its stitched.

If you use your walking foot for these tough-to-match seams, the walking foot will do all the work for you! I still use pins but put them in so that their tips are 1/4" from the seam line.

MaryLane 09-25-2012 12:54 PM

Some of the manuals for the old machines actually tell you to sew over pins. I learned to sew by sewing over pins when setting sleeves. I pull them as I go for my own convenience and don't even think about it now. More likely to break a needle pulling on the fabric.

MarleneC 09-25-2012 06:45 PM

Eleanor Burns is another one who sews over pins--makes me shutter whenever I see her do that.

Dee 09-25-2012 07:48 PM

Never sew over pins. Very dangerous and ruins your sewing buddy.

Bluehouse 09-26-2012 06:44 AM

Beside the chance of a broken needle flying at you and hitting you........You do LOTS of damage to your machine that can result in very costly repairs........replacing your machine hook and needle plates gets rather pricey. I stopped sewing over pins a long time ago.