Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   arranging printed quilt patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/arranging-printed-quilt-patterns-t262972.html)

charsuewilson 03-23-2015 08:40 AM

I was using binders and sheet protectors. It's a nice way to be able to browse the patterns, easier than using file folders, although the smaller patterns in bags, I have in drawers with sewing patterns. Those are a little thicker, so I didn't feel that they would fit nicely in the binders. But then I got pattern overload, so I started scanning patterns or downloading them as PDFs. It's easy to page through those on the computer. I have a hard time finding things by file name, though.

ube quilting 03-23-2015 04:21 PM

I love using binders w/ plastic sheet protectors and I label each one with the type of patterns in them. Scrappy, applique, mini, baby, wall hangings, seasonal, etc. Just looking through them is inspirational and they are right at hand. Sorry but I haven't opened my filing cabinet in years, even though I know there are some great things in there. Out of sight, out of mind. keep them where you can see and use them. Magazine projects are included in this type of system too.
You have to find what works for you.

I agree about doing the scanning too, for me it is just to time consuming to search every file, cause some times you just don't know what it is. When the pattern is right in front of you, you know what it is. Simple is best for me.
peace

renda 03-24-2015 02:14 AM

I buy my sheet protectors on line, much cheaper and check out the thrift stores for binders. Founds some the other day and got them for all you could put in a bag for $1. I got six 3" ones for $1.00. I too keep my separated by binders labeled such as "scrappy", "jelly roll" etc.

Kris P 03-24-2015 03:28 AM

I also use the binder method, with separate binders for quilts, bags, and "other things." I use sheet protectors for the half sized patterns, and magazine holders for the larger book type patterns. When my binders get overloaded, I look through for patterns I know I 'll never use, and donate them to my quilting group.

lindaschipper 03-24-2015 04:34 AM

I too put my patterns in sheet protectors and then in binders. My binders are marked for children's patterns, table runners, basic quilt patterns, purse/bag, applique, and 1930's patterns. My book shelf sits beneath the cutting table.

sherryellen 03-24-2015 04:54 AM

I save mine on the computer. They are in files under my large quilting folder. I save a tree and ink. I love patterns and know I will never ever do all of them but I can look at them at any time.

lclang 03-24-2015 04:55 AM

I have a cardboard box just the right size to store them in. I can just flip through them like going through a file. (Stand them on end). Not very fancy but woriks for me.

solstice3 03-24-2015 04:56 AM

I put the pattern in aa page protector and store them in a plastic filing container organized by whether it is for a quilt, runner etc

julybaby8 03-24-2015 05:22 AM

I save my patterns in binders ( BOM, paper piecing etc. ) but I also have a file on the computer where I keep patterns . I have separate folders for - scrappies , stars, paper-piecing , pictures etc.
I keep some for inspiration. :) I have so many things saved I'll never do them all. I sometimes like to revisit what I have, I probably should delete some.

MommyA 03-24-2015 07:49 AM

I have limited shelf space in my small sewing room so my solution was to purchase a portable file box (approx. $15) and the hanging folders. I have folders for Christmas, Baby, Fall, Tablerunners, wall hangings, etc. I can then store the box without using up my shelf space. The box can easily be carried anywhere when needed. Works much better forme than the binders I was using.