Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Asthmatics and spray basting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/asthmatics-spray-basting-t72753.html)

Prism99 10-28-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by trif
If you wore a mask AND sprayed outside AND waited til some of the spray smell dissipated before bringing your project inside THEN you would be okay. Please, those of you who are asthmatics take all precaution to protect yourself from the fumes, we don't want to trigger an attack. Safe and happy quilting to all.

I totally agree with this, especially with spraying outside.

amandasgramma 10-28-2010 08:11 AM

I use Advair daily, spray outside, and hold my breath when spraying. So far I haven't had a problem. BUT, I know others are a LOT more sensitive than me......so I'd say forget the basteing spray and baste!!!!

pieces 10-28-2010 08:58 AM

I am allergic to chemicals which cause respiratory distress.
I use the 505 which has the least amount of odor. I place a big sheet of paper in the bathroom and turn on the fan.
Lay everything in position, hold my breath and spray. The fan takes it right out of the room. I always let the fan run for awhile after I'm finished spraying so it doesn't migrate into the rest of the house. I only do a little at a time. But atleast I have worked out a method that I can tolerate so I can do my machine embroidery.

Sadiemae 10-28-2010 09:15 AM

I couldn't use any of these types of products when my late husband was with me. He had 6 different meds in in inhalers and the nebulizer. I had to go outside.

tjradj 10-28-2010 09:24 AM

I haven''t used aerosols in my house for years because of my asthma. I was very sensitive to all the cleaning compounds at work, especially when the one cleaning lady added
BLEACH !! to her mop water. Holy cats! I'd go into an asthma attack as soon as she got in the room. Had to sic the bureaucrats on her to get that stopped.
Now, I use vinegar and baking soda to clean everything at home. No cleaners allowed.
Starch comes in spray or liquid. I just put the liquid in a spray bottle to use it and hold my breath.
As for spray baste - I don't use it. Never even looked at it.

ckcowl 10-28-2010 11:28 AM

instead of spray basting maybe it would be better for you to try the fusable batts so you only iron your sandwich together instead of filling your lungs with noxious fumes. i have even used a regular batt that i put fusable web on myself. personally i go ahead and baste my projects i'm going to quilt on the little machine, it doesn't take long, and seems like lots less hassle to me...but i do avoid noxious fumes at all cost.

Gal 10-28-2010 01:27 PM

Thankyou all a million for your advise and input.

Gal

teacherbailey 10-29-2010 02:21 AM

For space reasons, I spray baste on a big blue tarp on the driveway---tarp is just for spray basting and not leaves, etc. I am not asthmatic but sensitive to sprays of any kind---they give me bad headaches---and this tskes care of it. Especially if it's a little windy outside!