Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   attaching quilt labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attaching-quilt-labels-t41035.html)

mbunny 03-28-2010 05:52 PM

Okay, I admit it, I've never labeled a quilt. But I'm going to start :) Obviously you can sew a label onto the back prior to quilting; does anyone sew labels onto the back (by hand) after the quilt is done?

LoisN 03-28-2010 05:59 PM

That's how I thought I was supposed to do it. I'll watch here for better ideas.

raptureready 03-28-2010 05:59 PM

Sometimes. It depends on how much quilting there's going to be and the size of the label. If I can put in on prior to quilting and not have to worry about quilting through it then I do it prior but usually I put them on by hand afterwards.

janRN 03-28-2010 06:00 PM

I attach mine to the back by hand after the quilting and binding are done. I've never tried to attach it by quilting but may have to try that. I seem to forget the label until the quilt is just about out the door-if I do it when quilting I shouldn't forget about it.

zyxquilts 03-28-2010 06:03 PM

I know that if you put the label on prior to quilting, there's not much chance it could come off, or be taken off, but I since I like to put the name of the quilt on & don't often know the name until it's all done, I sew it on by hand after. If it's a light colored backing, sometimes I even just use Pigma pens & write the info directly onto the backing.

Gramof6 03-28-2010 06:04 PM

I like to put my label on after it is quilted. Usually in the lower right corner. But that is just how I do it.

shequilts 03-28-2010 06:21 PM

I have shown several quilts and always attach the label before quilting. I like the look of the quilting going through the label. It also makes it less likely to "disappear". Sadly, quilts do walk away occasionally.

Gal 03-28-2010 06:34 PM

I attached by hand my label, and a small name tag which I made on my machine, I used Pigma pen to write the label, can anyone tell me should I heat set the writing if I use Pigma Pens?

Gal

sewnsewer2 03-28-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbunny
Okay, I admit it, I've never labeled a quilt. But I'm going to start :) Obviously you can sew a label onto the back prior to quilting; does anyone sew labels onto the back (by hand) after the quilt is done?

Yes, I always hand sew them after I quilt it.

sunkistmi 03-28-2010 06:43 PM

I add my label underneath the side & bottom binding. That leaves only two sides to sew on. I usually hand sew it on but if I am in a really hurry, like with the kitty quilts, I fuse it on, use a deco stitch for the edges, then quilt through it with the grid quilting. This method doesn't put it under the binding but I have been attaching the binding on these by machine for time reasons. I have been writing out the labels w/Pigma Pens & heat setting w/iron until I can figure out how to embroider them with the embroidery machine.
Wendy B