Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attic Windows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attic-windows-t7273.html)

julia58 05-18-2008 06:38 PM

Have been admiring the attic window quilts with the Michael Miller panels, is this hard to do. Also wandering if anyone has done any of the stained glass hangings, this is something I would like to get into. Would like to hear your comments on these.

tlrnhi 05-18-2008 06:41 PM

I'm attempting to do an attic window.
Just waiting for the black fabric that I ordered to come in, if it EVER comes. Seems like it has been on back order for ages!

I have a pattern that was sent to me, so I'm just waiting on fabric.

Tell you what, you go first, let me know how it was, then I will decide whether or not to tackle it myself! lol

amma 05-18-2008 06:47 PM

I am going to make an attic window, only instead of the Y seams I am going to use a 1/2 square triangle in the corners. Yep, it is cheating but if I plan the quilting correctly it should not show at all :D

I helped a friend of mine with a stained glass wall hanging. It was fun, we made our own bias strips, sprayed the backs of them with quilt basting spray and invisible stitched them down. We used a stained glass coloring book page and enlarged it to the size we wanted. These are really easy to do :D

Cordelia 05-18-2008 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've done two stained glass hangings, but no attic window as yet.

I posted pics of them in the pictures forum, but some time back.

amma 05-18-2008 07:25 PM

I remember you posting these, Cordelia, they are very pretty! :D

Cordelia 05-18-2008 07:51 PM

Thanks. I was hoping you'd post pics of yours.

I've got two more in the works I'm thinking of posting. I have to snap pics of them.

I've got hundreds of design patterns I bought from Paned Expression Studios.

One was a paint by numbers kit I saw at the craft store. But, it turned out to be so much work, I can't ever seem to finish it. Instead of using bias tape, I was actually satin-stitching it. I'm not very good at that, so it's been my practice project.

amma 05-18-2008 08:02 PM

We did not have a camera :( and I was helping her make a gift so she does not have it, the wall hanging is traveling around the world with her sister. :lol:

Cordelia 05-18-2008 08:25 PM

What was it a wall hanging of?

Check out Paned Expressions' web site and check their CD designs. I've bought like ALL of them.

:shock:

There's no way in the world I'll ever do all those. But, I'm a "tropical" enthusiast, so I like tropical scenes and they have lots of fabulous patterns for those.

I like rustic North American outdoors stuff, and they've got lots of patterns for that.

Here's the site:

http://www.panedexpressions.com/stained-glass-patterns-for-sale.html

Cordelia 05-18-2008 08:27 PM

You know, there is another interesting technique that can be done to mimic the appearance of stained glass, and that is to use a black fabric background.

Then, cut the pieces of the pattern and arrange them on the black background leaving a small space between the pieces that the black background fabric shows. That gives the effect of the bias tape or "leading" in the stained glass window.

But, it only really works well wtih simple patterns. Complicated patterns with lots of lines don't work so well that way. You have to use the bias tape.

amma 05-18-2008 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cordelia
You know, there is another interesting technique that can be done to mimic the appearance of stained glass, and that is to use a black fabric background.

Then, cut the pieces of the pattern and arrange them on the black background leaving a small space between the pieces that the black background fabric shows. That gives the effect of the bias tape or "leading" in the stained glass window.

But, it only really works well wtih simple patterns. Complicated patterns with lots of lines don't work so well that way. You have to use the bias tape.

I have been sketching out one of these designs, I am trying to keep it simple. One is of a cathedral window and the other one is a wrought iron fence and gate to use with the Michael Miller panels. I will check those other websites out tomorrow, thanks for the info. The one we did was of a daisy and we used all batiks. I like all kinds of subject matter and could get really hooked on making these :lol: