Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   automatic upper tension or manual (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/automatic-upper-tension-manual-t227211.html)

too 08-03-2013 05:02 PM

automatic upper tension or manual

Trying to decide if I want a machine with automatic upper tension or manual. I have read several different opinions. Some are saying even with the automatic upper tension they still have to tweek it depending on thickness of quilt or type of thread. Is it worth the additional cost of a sewing machine for one with automatic tension? thanks in advance for everyone's opinion.

petthefabric 08-03-2013 05:32 PM

My machine has auto upper tension. It was set with certain parameters of fabric, pattern, etc. I can over ride the default settings, & I often do. I teach FMQ at the store so they know my opinions on tension.

I wouldn't choose a machine based on this option. I chose my machine for other reasons and auto tension is a standard feature, not an option.

kiffie2413 08-03-2013 05:38 PM

Hi, and welcome to QB! I agree with pethefabric...that being said, I have machines that have both auto and manual tension settings. There are times I have to "tweak" the tension on them all...but its not been a big deal for me. I am sure there will be others along soon to give you some more opinions/help, this is a great place for that!
Regards,
Kif

Dolphyngyrl 08-03-2013 07:25 PM

Me I prefer the automatic because you have to tweak with it less than manual. My brother has AHA and i hardly ever touch the tension button with different fabrics. I can adjust it if I need to but I hardly need to which is nice to not have to keep a log of my settings like I did with my mechanical. I personally would not be without the AHA feature after having it and think its worth the money. My machine you can turn the AHA feature under the settings(I never do) and you can adjust tension on the front screen so it is super easy to adjust on my machine

romanojg 08-04-2013 04:23 AM

I think that's up to the machines and the user. I have the Diamond Deluxe and it has auto tension and thread distribution and I never have to adjust the tension no matter what I'm doing. I have the capabilities but glad that I don't have to worry about that now. My machine has settings for the different fabrics as well so like this weekend when I was sewing heavy layers of canvas I told the machine what I was sewing and made sure I had the right needle (jean needle) and had no problems with it sewing. The only time I had a problem it was before I knew how much using the right setting made such a big difference. I'm so glad that I have it.

#1piecemaker 08-04-2013 04:29 AM

I'm living in the dark ages.I've been buying cheap for so long that I didn't know this was an option. If I thought for one minute, it would make my life and tension issues easier, I'd go for it. That being said from someone who just had some tension issues. Yuck!!

romanojg 08-04-2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 6214299)
I'm living in the dark ages.I've been buying cheap for so long that I didn't know this was an option. If I thought for one minute, it would make my life and tension issues easier, I'd go for it. That being said from someone who just had some tension issues. Yuck!!

Its so possible. I had the Viking Ruby for a yr and now the Diamond Deluxe for a yr so in the past two yrs I've "never" had to adjust it. I've done FMQ, quilting, sewing, embroidery, etc and not tension adjusting at all. Life is sweet.

donnajean 08-04-2013 05:39 AM

I've had my Viking Rose since 1996 & I can' remember "ever" touching the tension dial.

ghostrider 08-04-2013 06:52 AM

Not something I'd want at all. I sew through paper, metal leaf and foil, mesh, screening, plastic and all sorts of oddball stuff in addition to just plain fabric. I'd much prefer to set the tension however I want it. What about cotton fabric fused to very stiff interfacing? My machine is smart, but I don't want it to 'assume' what I want it to do. Just my personal feeling on auto tension.

too 08-04-2013 10:52 AM

bumping to see if I can get more opinions. thanks for all the advise so far