Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Jazz or Presto (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-jazz-presto-t320695.html)

MeadowMist 05-16-2023 10:40 AM

Baby Lock Jazz or Presto

I'm in the "thinking about it" stage of a new sewing maching. Two in particular I'm looking at are the Baby Lock Jazz 2 and the Baby Lock Presto 2, both at about the same price. I like the large throat space of the Jazz (I do my quilting, mostly straight line, on machine, I don't send them out to be long armed) but I also like the number of decorative stitches on the Presto. Any comments on either of these, pros or cons? And ideas on where to get one on sale?

rryder 05-16-2023 01:38 PM

Have you looked into the Babylock Allegro? It has the 12" throat space like the Jazz, but also has a bunch of decorative stitches. I can't remember the list price, but most folks who sell them are offering them at $1299.

Rob

Mkotch 05-17-2023 01:20 AM

I don't care about decorative stitches much, but I would also like to know about the Jazz. How is it with free motion and with walking foot quilting?

marsharini 05-17-2023 02:22 AM

I have a Jazz II and have done a queen size quilt recently. I so ruler quilting, and the large throat space is great. It is a mechanical machine, the only speed control it has is you, but it’s a good basic machine. I’ve had it for three years with no problems.

rjwilder 05-17-2023 03:14 AM

I bought the Babylock Allegro, I love the 12" throat space. It has a lot of decorative stitches that I really like. I use it to FMQ and also for everyday sewing.

MeadowMist 05-17-2023 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8601486)
Have you looked into the Babylock Allegro? It has the 12" throat space like the Jazz, but also has a bunch of decorative stitches. I can't remember the list price, but most folks who sell them are offering them at $1299.

Rob

Aah, the best of two worlds, large throat space and decorative stitches. But way more than I can afford right now, even the $800 that I'm willing to spend on either of the other two is a bit of a stretch for me.

MeadowMist 05-17-2023 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by marsharini (Post 8601529)
I have a Jazz II and have done a queen size quilt recently. I so ruler quilting, and the large throat space is great. It is a mechanical machine, the only speed control it has is you, but it’s a good basic machine. I’ve had it for three years with no problems.

I didn't know that about the speed control, I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm surprised a machine at that price doesn't have speed control.

MeadowMist 05-17-2023 05:04 AM

I've been reading reviews about the Jazz and I see so many complaints about the tension and other issues, so I'm having second thoughts about this one. The closest dealer to me is about 90 minutes away which makes getting repair work done a little more difficult. I'm finding very few reviews on the Presto, not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing,

Ginniequilts 05-17-2023 06:00 AM

I looked at the Jazz back in November. It was between that and the Juki 2010q. I came home with the Juki. I just didn't like the feel of the Jazz.

cashs_mom 05-17-2023 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ginniequilts (Post 8601548)
I looked at the Jazz back in November. It was between that and the Juki 2010q. I came home with the Juki. I just didn't like the feel of the Jazz.

I love my Juki! I have no clue about the BL, but I do like my Juki. I've had it for 5 years now and quilted a lot of quilts on it and it performs very well. Basic straight stitch machine but it does that job well. The feet are sturdy and not snap on which I like and the machine in general seems very sturdy and well built.