Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Jazz or Presto >

Baby Lock Jazz or Presto

Baby Lock Jazz or Presto

Old 05-16-2023, 10:40 AM

Default Baby Lock Jazz or Presto

I'm in the "thinking about it" stage of a new sewing maching. Two in particular I'm looking at are the Baby Lock Jazz 2 and the Baby Lock Presto 2, both at about the same price. I like the large throat space of the Jazz (I do my quilting, mostly straight line, on machine, I don't send them out to be long armed) but I also like the number of decorative stitches on the Presto. Any comments on either of these, pros or cons? And ideas on where to get one on sale?
Old 05-16-2023, 01:38 PM

Have you looked into the Babylock Allegro? It has the 12" throat space like the Jazz, but also has a bunch of decorative stitches. I can't remember the list price, but most folks who sell them are offering them at $1299.

Rob
Old 05-17-2023, 01:20 AM

I don't care about decorative stitches much, but I would also like to know about the Jazz. How is it with free motion and with walking foot quilting?
Old 05-17-2023, 02:22 AM

I have a Jazz II and have done a queen size quilt recently. I so ruler quilting, and the large throat space is great. It is a mechanical machine, the only speed control it has is you, but it’s a good basic machine. I’ve had it for three years with no problems.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:14 AM

I bought the Babylock Allegro, I love the 12" throat space. It has a lot of decorative stitches that I really like. I use it to FMQ and also for everyday sewing.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Have you looked into the Babylock Allegro? It has the 12" throat space like the Jazz, but also has a bunch of decorative stitches. I can't remember the list price, but most folks who sell them are offering them at $1299.

Rob
Aah, the best of two worlds, large throat space and decorative stitches. But way more than I can afford right now, even the $800 that I'm willing to spend on either of the other two is a bit of a stretch for me.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
I have a Jazz II and have done a queen size quilt recently. I so ruler quilting, and the large throat space is great. It is a mechanical machine, the only speed control it has is you, but it’s a good basic machine. I’ve had it for three years with no problems.
I didn't know that about the speed control, I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm surprised a machine at that price doesn't have speed control.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:04 AM

I've been reading reviews about the Jazz and I see so many complaints about the tension and other issues, so I'm having second thoughts about this one. The closest dealer to me is about 90 minutes away which makes getting repair work done a little more difficult. I'm finding very few reviews on the Presto, not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing,
Old 05-17-2023, 06:00 AM

I looked at the Jazz back in November. It was between that and the Juki 2010q. I came home with the Juki. I just didn't like the feel of the Jazz.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ginniequilts View Post
I looked at the Jazz back in November. It was between that and the Juki 2010q. I came home with the Juki. I just didn't like the feel of the Jazz.
I love my Juki! I have no clue about the BL, but I do like my Juki. I've had it for 5 years now and quilted a lot of quilts on it and it performs very well. Basic straight stitch machine but it does that job well. The feet are sturdy and not snap on which I like and the machine in general seems very sturdy and well built.