Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back from quilters with tension issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-quilters-tension-issues-t87812.html)

quiltnutt 01-05-2011 02:37 PM

washing will not help the tension problems. Ripping it out and re doing them is the answer.

jljack 01-05-2011 04:37 PM

Let her know that you are not happy with her work and won't return. That's unprofessional on her part, and you shouldn't have to accept substandard work.

You could tell her you want a refund on the quilts that are really bad. It's up to her to be ethical or not...if not, you can walk away with a clear conscience.

thseabreze 01-06-2011 02:48 AM

I would have her do them over, then find someone else next time.

ashlett 01-06-2011 02:54 AM

I quilt all my quilts by hand, love it, would hate to have them ruined by someone else. Sitting and quilting is so theraputic.

jeanneb52 01-06-2011 03:10 AM

Dump her fast! It sounds like she just doesn't care about the quality of her or YOUR work.

Late Bloomer 01-06-2011 04:25 AM

This is the main reason I would never use a longarm quilter.I am a hand quilter and am horrified by the excessive quilting some longarmers use on quilts. It is almost difficult to see the actual piecing when it is just covered with stitches. To me, this totally destroys the beauty of a quilt and does nothing to enhance it. I also heard horror stories so I think I will stick with my slow, but sure method of handquilting thank you very much! Most longarmers do not understand that less is more and there really is no need to cover a beautiful quilt with the scribbling that is called quilting. Sorry for the soapbox but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. There are good longarmers, but there are a lot of the other kind out there too.

bevster 01-06-2011 05:07 AM

Unacceptable! Find another quilter - you put too much hard work into piecing your quilts to let someone who has no concern for your hard work. Therefore, her work tells all - she has no concern or pride in her work.

charmy 01-06-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. Even the one with solid thread has issues. She has great turn around about a month so I can't complain there.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.

she should of noticed in no time she had tension problems and ripped out before going and doing the whole quilt. I have NO problems with Varigated thread when I quilt. That is NOT exceptable to do quilting get paid for it and turn out quilts like this without catching it. You paid good hard earned money and expected good service in return. Find another quilter is my advice.

wolph33 01-06-2011 05:37 AM

that is awful.I do longarm work and check the back at each bobbin change-also test a scrap before starting the quilt.She should have fixed it-I would not use her again

vickimc 01-06-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnutt
I am a longerarmer and I am very disaapointted in her statement to you.
Tension issues are unaccepptable. It can be fixed with the first bobbin test .
I use all kinds of thread,varigated,thick,thin,mettllic,etc and never had tension troubles.

She should have ripped it out and re did then or give you a huge discount.

I'm ripping out a corner of a quilt,not because of tension trouble,the thread I choose disappears in the fabric and I can't see it. If I'm unhappy I know the owner will be unhappy. That's my rule.

Hope you can resolve this.

here is a picture of my dble wedding ring I did for a cust. She wanted 3 layers of batting and this is a King quilt.

3 layers of batting. WOW!! as another longarmer, that is a lot. I agree with the tension. refund or discount and find another longarmer. I heard a new longarmer(gam premier) tell some one if the tension isnt right on the back, it adds chariture (sp?). My friend wont use her, comes back to me.