Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back-up machine recommendations please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-up-machine-recommendations-please-t232315.html)

marand 10-12-2013 01:24 PM

Back-up machine recommendations please

I have a Janome mc6600 that is being repaired. I won't have it back in time for a quilting class I have signed up to take. This has got me thinking I need a back up machine (although I am pretty upset that my 6600 should not need this). If I were to invest in a machine for back up. What do you suggest.I am asking because if what happened to my machine ever occurred when I was on a retreat I would have been up the creek. I am hoping to find a used, refurbished and/or yard sale gem!Fortunately, the LQS I am taking the class in is kindly letting me use one of their machines even though I didn't buy mine there.
thanks
MaryAnn

Tartan 10-12-2013 02:36 PM

I would hold off until you use the machine supplied for the class. You might like it and they might give you a deal there. A LQS for machine support is always a plus.

nanna-up-north 10-12-2013 03:54 PM

My backup machines are vintage singers. They didn't cost much, I can repair them myself, and they make a lovely stitch. They don't do fancy stitches but for piecing I don't need that. I love my vintage machines.... I think I have 10-12 now.

Dolphyngyrl 10-12-2013 04:53 PM

I think the jems are popular for classes. I love my brother SQ-9050 for classes and travel, dreamy is a beast to carry.

GrammieJan 10-12-2013 05:51 PM

My backup machine is a Pfaff Hobbymatic. I was fortunate enough to find it on eBay. I think everyone needs a backup machine, you never know when you might need it. Also a lighter weight one would be perfect for taking to classes. I hope you get your Janine back soon. Good luck.

SherriB 10-12-2013 06:06 PM

The foot control pedal on my Janome quit working the other day. It will take my LQS about 4 day to get one in. And until them, I have a Singer 301A to use as backup. I got it a few years ago on Ebay for $65.00.

Prism99 10-12-2013 06:15 PM

I agree that everyone needs a backup machine. I think a nice lightweight would be nice for taking to classes. If I needed another backup machine, I would probably be looking at the Janome Jem line. Check eBay for reviews.

ktbb 10-12-2013 06:51 PM

I have a Janome Gem that I love. Lightweight and all the features I need for a class. Because you have the Janome at home all your feet and bobbins will be usable which is a convenience and cost saver.

I just learned that Janome made some small machines for Sears/Kenmore then Sears backed out of the deal for some reason. Janome asked dealers if they wanted them - they retail for $139 or so....this might be a great deal. It includes the Janome warranty, not the Kenmmore warranty even tho they have Kenmore on them.

qltgrose 10-12-2013 07:22 PM

I love my Pfaff, its old but still has the built in walking foot and that walking foot works much better than the one on my newer Babylock. Its a 2022. I found it on Ebay for $325, shipping paid. If you dont want to spend that much look for a 1222 or 1222E Pfaff. Good luck on your search!

jlm5419 10-12-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6345499)
I would hold off until you use the machine supplied for the class. You might like it and they might give you a deal there. A LQS for machine support is always a plus.

Yes, I second this!