Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing fabric - how to piece? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-fabric-how-piece-t287648.html)

popover 04-20-2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7807798)
When I'm going to do a pieced backing from one large piece of yardage like you have, I will cut the fabric in half, giving me two 2yd pieces, turn them sideways, and sew them together on the selvedge edge. This gives you a large enough backing.

Cari

Yep, me too. simplest and least obtrusive way.

nativetexan 04-20-2017 03:31 PM

I'm made the backing for a recent oriental quilt and used blocks down the center with 1 inch black sashing on each side and then an oriental print on each side. (same fabric)

Sandra in Minnesota 04-20-2017 04:22 PM

I like the wider backing fabric.

popover 04-20-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 7808095)
I like the wider backing fabric.

When given the choice, so do I, and usually what I use.

coopah 04-21-2017 03:56 AM

Has anyone mentioned John Flynn's method?

annesthreads 04-21-2017 04:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Its always interesting to go back to basics and look at how other people do things.

The wider fabric is the best option, of course, but choices are limited, and I'm not aware of many suppliers in the UK. The diagonal method looks interesting, but I doubt my maths is up to it.

Ive just tried my first pieced, as in using contrasting blocks, backing. It's waiting to be quilted at the moment. The one that prompted the question is a baby quilt that's got to be finished quickly and simply because I've run out of time - baby is two weeks old already. The backing fabric has a small, busy design, as someone suggested, so I'm hoping that the joins won't show very much.

Wish me luck!

citruscountyquilter 04-21-2017 05:02 AM

I have never used wide backing fabric so that means that I am always piecing my backing. One thing that matters to me is to have the pattern match so that is my first approach. I'll need two pieces of fabric to do this so after I make sure I have enough fabric I cut it into two pieces.

To match the pattern I take one piece of fabric and fold over the selvedge edge to the back along an easy to follow pattern repeat (ie a vein in a leaf, petal of a flower etc) to make it easier to match. I press that fold and will use it as a reference later. I then find the repeat on the other piece and lay the first piece with the pressed selvedge edge over it to find the match. Once the match is found I pin a long the folded edge just through the second piece of fabric. I then open up my first piece and with right sides together match the pressing line with the pin line in the second piece and pin the two pieces together. I then stitch along the pressing line, check to make sure the match is good and then trim my seam allowance to 1/2". I press my seam allowance open. When done correctly you will barely be able to see the seam from the right side. Now I have a piece of fabric that is big enough and looks like one piece.

annesthreads 04-21-2017 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7808345)
I have never used wide backing fabric so that means that I am always piecing my backing. One thing that matters to me is to have the pattern match so that is my first approach. I'll need two pieces of fabric to do this so after I make sure I have enough fabric I cut it into two pieces.

To match the pattern I.....

Thankyou so much! I've been turning over in my head this morning whether it might be possible to match the fabric, and how I might do it. This is wonderful and I will try it.

Snooze2978 04-21-2017 05:48 AM

I used to piece lengthwise but then I'd get this bump where the seam layed as I rolled it. Now I put the seam crosswise so no bump.

Shorebird 04-21-2017 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 7807722)
I'm asking this because I'm curious to know what approach people would take. I've just finished a quilt top that is 56in by 49in. I have over 4 yards of my backing fabric, which is 44in wide. The look of the finished quilt matters more to me than being economical with the fabric. How would you cut and piece it?

Welllllllll............a lot depends on your lonmgarmer (assuming you are using one)....for myself, I need seams running horizontally, (parallel with my rollers) to avoid a fabric buildup that occurs when seams are vertical and a quilt is rolled.

To avoid "un-eveness" with a pieced back (assuming different fabrics) I insert the narrow addition in the middle of the back, which then gives the appearance that it was a conscious design decision, and I do not have to be concerned if either the top or bottom are an inch or two longer than the other.