Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing Fabric use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-fabric-use-t240819.html)

MarLeClair 02-10-2014 03:31 PM

Backing Fabric use

I am going to do a very large appliqué quilt that will take a couple of years. The pattern calls for 10 yards of background. I have enough of 108" backing fabric. Do you think it would work well?

Marilynsue 02-10-2014 03:33 PM

Yup!
I do.

quilter1 02-10-2014 03:36 PM

Sure it will, as long as the color is what you want. I once bought 108" wide white and off white tone on tone quilting cotton for $3 a yard. Of course I took all they had.

ar007tornado 02-10-2014 03:42 PM

If I were using backing fabric for the large quilt, I would buy the best quality that I could afford. Being a longarm quilter, I have seen some beautiful backings that were so crooked and stretchy, kinda like the $1.50 stuff at Walmart. clients bring me a beautiful top but bad backing. Doesn't look nice when quilted, even puckers sometimes. I found some really nice backing from fabric.com and also connecting threads. JMHO.

barny 02-10-2014 03:54 PM

MarLeClair, you're talking BACKGROUND FABRIC? That's for the top? Be careful what you use, because you're putting beautiful appliqué on it. Or are you talking BACKING FABRIC?

dunster 02-10-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6567331)
MarLeClair, you're talking BACKGROUND FABRIC? That's for the top? Be careful what you use, because you're putting beautiful appliqué on it. Or are you talking BACKING FABRIC?

She's talking about using wide backing fabric as the background for her applique.

Wide fabric can be excellent quality or it can be very poor, just as with other fabrics. See how it feels, whether you can see through it (very commonly the case with wide white on white in my experience), and I would also check how it is after washing. If it's a good quality fabric there's no reason it has to be used on the back of a quilt, and if it's not good quality, I wouldn't advise using it anywhere.

MarLeClair 02-10-2014 07:38 PM

Thank you all. It is good quality fabric. I washed it, ironed it, starched it and grain is really good. Not wonky at all. I've changed my mind several times but have decided to use it. I cut it up so no changing my mind now. Thanks for you opinions.

Jingle 02-11-2014 10:49 AM

Of course backing fabric can be used for piecing the top. Fabric is fabric, period. I use leftover backing fabric in my scrappy quilts. I have also pieced leftover fabrics in the backings, to make them large enough.
All my quilts will be here long after I am gone.

Boston1954 02-11-2014 10:54 AM

Sure! I have used backing as "fronting" many times.

ManiacQuilter2 02-11-2014 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ar007tornado (Post 6567311)
If I were using backing fabric for the large quilt, I would buy the best quality that I could afford. Being a longarm quilter, I have seen some beautiful backings that were so crooked and stretchy, kinda like the $1.50 stuff at Walmart. clients bring me a beautiful top but bad backing. Doesn't look nice when quilted, even puckers sometimes. I found some really nice backing from fabric.com and also connecting threads.

I agree. Use the best you can afford because you will be investing so much time and effort into this quilt. Best of luck !!