Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bamboo batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bamboo-batting-t79970.html)

suern3 12-01-2010 03:36 PM

I bought bamboo batting a couple of years ago at Walmart (maybe that was the problem) and used it in a small quilt for DH's car. The quilt had a lot of black fabric and the bamboo that I had bearded terribly, so I would not use it again. Apparently that has not been a problem for others on this post. I was working on a baby quilt for my DGD and was thankful that I didn't use it for hers.

ckcowl 12-01-2010 04:27 PM

oh i agree! i loved the bamboo batting too. i used a queen one and i usually LOVE the wool batts ( I still do) but that bamboo ... it was so soft and lofty and needled easily...still waiting the test of time but it's been washed probably 6 times and has not lost any of it's beauty. (and it's used on a 14 year old's bed)for 2 years now.

Aunt Retta 12-01-2010 04:32 PM

Oh yes I have looked at the bamboo batting and touched it. It is lovely!

montanablu 12-01-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
well, I'm just curious. Why so pricey? isn't it recycled?

isn't most everything recycled or 'green' expensive??! Recycled paper products are outrageous! Maybe they think since so many of us want to go green that we'll pay the extra?

Kas 12-01-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by montanablu

Originally Posted by Mousie
well, I'm just curious. Why so pricey? isn't it recycled?

isn't most everything recycled or 'green' expensive??! Recycled paper products are outrageous! Maybe they think since so many of us want to go green that we'll pay the extra?

Natural bamboo is rough like linen. Bamboo processed into rayon is soft and silky. So it is just rayon made from bamboo instead of other plant material.

jemma 12-01-2010 06:43 PM

it is great to use ---but be carefull apparently it is very flammable

Ann L 12-01-2010 06:46 PM

I will have to check our JoAnn's here. It is small so I doubt if they have it. Maybe I better wait till I get a coupon if it is as expensive as everyone is hinting at.

quilterella 12-02-2010 02:31 AM

BECAREFUL: I read on here somwhere(meaning the internet) in the past couple of weeks, that they are pulling fabric made with bamboo due to the high toxin levels. I would be very leary of using the batting, because obviously it has been treated as well. I will have to see if I can find the article and post a link.

ckcowl 12-02-2010 02:40 AM

those of you who tried some (knock-off) bamboo batt from walmart really should find a good bamboo batt (the dream company's is wonderful) and try it again..you will be amazed at the difference in quality, preformance, and outcome. watch for your favorite lqs to have a sale, or try an online shop having a sale. it is so worth the price.

polly13 12-02-2010 06:43 AM

Well, once again, members of the Board are educating me. I have never looked into bamboo batting since I've never heard of anyone who has used it. I will continue to read your input----flammable, toxic, etc. before deciding to jump. I am anxious to try the very best as a test if it proves to be safe in my sewing projects.