Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bargello contruction question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-contruction-question-t36783.html)

Jim's Gem 02-13-2010 08:16 AM

Don't you just hate it when that happens!!! It's always in the middle of a project when those things die!! It's happened to me a couple of times!!

barnbum 02-13-2010 08:20 AM

Hubby said "let's eat at Tim Horton's and go get one", along with all the other errands, so as soon as I top off the buckets in the pasture with HOT water--we're on our way!

littlehud 02-13-2010 10:15 AM

I did mine with the strips and it wasn't that bad. They came apart fairly easily.

Rachelcb80 02-14-2010 05:15 AM

I'm in the midst of constructing a bargello right now. My pattern called for 4 complete strip sets (fabrics 1-20) and then two partial strip sets (fabric 1-7 and 15-20). Each of my rows uses two full strip sets and one or the other partial strip set, though a few rows don't use either partial set. In each row I have to take apart a few pieces on one of the full strip sets, but the other strip set is used in it's already assembled form. Most of the rows require me to take out a few pieces of the partial strip set as well.

Really it's not as bad as it seems like it would be. My rows are going together quicker than I thought they would. I'm doing things a little different than the pattern calls for, though it really doesn't matter. It has you cut one rows sets, contruct them, sew them to the previous rows, then cut the next one, etc. I don't work well like that. I like to do one step at a time completely before I move to the next. So I cut all my strip sets in the different widths, marked each one with it's row number and piled those up. Then I'm making each row out of it's set pieces and marking it with it's number. When I get 10 or so done I sew them together. It's working out good for me to do it like that.

Good luck on your quilt! I'm having a lot of fun with this one and can definitely say I'll do more.

quiltmom04 02-15-2010 06:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
[quote=barnbum]I was reading the directions for a Bargello quilt this morning and I'm starting to get it. :thumbup: But, if all the color strips are sewn together 1-20--in order to create the strips for the rows, one just takes out the stitches in order to get the colors needed? It just seems like a lot of unstitching, but I can see how that'd be easier than trying to sew strips in the order of the rows.... and the reason for the 1-20 sets is getting clearer and clearer. Just checking to be sure I'm on the right track.

Did that make sense?
Yeah, you are on the right track. I've done several versions of bargello quilts. I cut several widths of vertical rows from the strip sets and add them before I move on. That way, if you get them out of order some how, you don't ruin all the strip sets before you can correct your mistake. The process isn't hard - just pay attention and keep things organized! Good luck!

Pink Ribbon Bargello
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8110[/ATTACH]

Twisted bargello
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8156[/ATTACH]

Closeup of "Links" - my avatar quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8157[/ATTACH]

BKinCO 02-15-2010 06:41 AM

Brave lady!!!! You saw my mini disaster :) But I'm going to keep at it........Keep us posted on how it goes!!!

BKinCO 02-15-2010 06:42 AM

Quiltmom04: Those are absolutely stunning! May I ask where you got the pattern for the pink ribbon one???

barnbum 02-15-2010 07:04 AM

quiltmom--THANK YOU!! For your advice AND the photos. :-D

quiltmom04 02-15-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Quiltmom04: Those are absolutely stunning! May I ask where you got the pattern for the pink ribbon one???

Thanks! It's a pattern from Heidi K. Farmer called "Pink Ribbon Bargello" It's an odd size at 44 x 89 - long and narrow.

Lori S 06-04-2010 08:44 AM

[quote=barnbum]I was reading the directions for a Bargello quilt this morning and I'm starting to get it. :thumbup: But, if all the color strips are sewn together 1-20--in order to create the strips for the rows, one just takes out the stitches in order to get the colors needed? It just seems like a lot of unstitching, but I can see how that'd be easier than trying to sew strips in the order of the rows.... and the reason for the 1-20 sets is getting clearer and clearer. Just checking to be sure I'm on the right track.

Did that make sense?

I too really resisted the "unstitching" it is counter intuative . I only unstitch for mistakes. But once I tried , and got the hang of it I have been making lots of Bargello quilts, wall hangings , pot holders ... you name it. The method is a bit disorientating at first , but the logic will appear , and the unsewing will seam like a simple way to get great results.
Please post your finished project.