Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bargello Quilting Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-quilting-suggestions-t288412.html)

cat23sas 05-21-2017 03:55 AM

Bargello Quilting Suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished this Bargello and was looking for some advise on quilting. I thought of just doing straight lines through the blocks but when looking at it, it seems when you get to the last blocks, you would have to turn in the center of the block to go in the other direction (not at the end or point of block). Hope you can follow what I mean.

I would then have lines lines going with the flow of the design as opposed to just having straight lines across the entire quilt.

I don't post here much but do read the boards and have gotten a lot of great ideas and inspiration.

Hope my picture loaded correctly.

Thanks for looking!

Teri

Snooze2978 05-21-2017 04:11 AM

Have no ideas how to quilt it but just wanted to say how beautiful your fabrics and layout of your quilt it. I'm not a fan of browns but yours is breath taking.

QuiltnNan 05-21-2017 04:37 AM

lovely quilt. an allover meander should work so your pattern still shows through.

AVFD215 05-21-2017 05:01 AM

I think an all over meander also, but a large pattern.
Very nice quilt.

cat23sas 05-21-2017 05:29 AM

I was thinking of straight lines going in the direction of the triangles. I don't ha e a long arm but I have a baby lock destiny with a pretty good opening. I have quilted a lot of large ones with it.

That way I would be quilting through each in the direction they are going. Pinning it now. Urgh. Worst part, LOL. But I like to place the pins in lines so they are easy to follow

Tartan 05-21-2017 05:38 AM

​Very pretty and I like the idea of following the design motion.

Boston1954 05-21-2017 05:40 AM

When the top has straight line pieces, I always want to put lots of curves. I vote for meander as well. You do beautiful work. Cannot wait to see it all finished.

cat23sas 05-21-2017 05:55 AM

Oh boy...looks like most of you think I should do a meander. I have never "free motion" quilted on a large project. I have done a lot of runners and placemats for practice. I am a little scared to tackle this one with my "lack of" FM skills. It is for a gift. But a large meander wouldn't interfere with the flow.

That's why I thought of going with the flow and using the lines..

i am seriously thinking of getting a long arm so I can solve this problem once and for all! Guess I should just jump in and start the search for one.

Bobbielinks 05-21-2017 06:46 AM

I would go with the straight lines. I feel a meandering would soften the lines of the fabrics, but that would not be what I would want on this top. I would want the sharp angles of the fabrics to show up.

Jordan 05-21-2017 07:04 AM

I am not too good on deciding on quilt designs-I just let my LA quilter decide but I do agree with the members that a nice meandering would look good. If you have squares or triangles, I think a possible circular design would look nice. Beautiful quilt and I just love browns so I really love your quilt. Good luck on your picking a quilting design.