Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bargello Quilting Suggestions

Bargello Quilting Suggestions

Just finished this Bargello and was looking for some advise on quilting. I thought of just doing straight lines through the blocks but when looking at it, it seems when you get to the last blocks, you would have to turn in the center of the block to go in the other direction (not at the end or point of block). Hope you can follow what I mean.

I would then have lines lines going with the flow of the design as opposed to just having straight lines across the entire quilt.

I don't post here much but do read the boards and have gotten a lot of great ideas and inspiration.

Hope my picture loaded correctly.

Thanks for looking!

Teri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have no ideas how to quilt it but just wanted to say how beautiful your fabrics and layout of your quilt it. I'm not a fan of browns but yours is breath taking.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    lovely quilt. an allover meander should work so your pattern still shows through.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I think an all over meander also, but a large pattern.
    Very nice quilt.

I was thinking of straight lines going in the direction of the triangles. I don't ha e a long arm but I have a baby lock destiny with a pretty good opening. I have quilted a lot of large ones with it.

That way I would be quilting through each in the direction they are going. Pinning it now. Urgh. Worst part, LOL. But I like to place the pins in lines so they are easy to follow

Power Poster
    ​Very pretty and I like the idea of following the design motion.

When the top has straight line pieces, I always want to put lots of curves. I vote for meander as well. You do beautiful work. Cannot wait to see it all finished.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Oh boy...looks like most of you think I should do a meander. I have never "free motion" quilted on a large project. I have done a lot of runners and placemats for practice. I am a little scared to tackle this one with my "lack of" FM skills. It is for a gift. But a large meander wouldn't interfere with the flow.

That's why I thought of going with the flow and using the lines..

i am seriously thinking of getting a long arm so I can solve this problem once and for all! Guess I should just jump in and start the search for one.

I would go with the straight lines. I feel a meandering would soften the lines of the fabrics, but that would not be what I would want on this top. I would want the sharp angles of the fabrics to show up.

I am not too good on deciding on quilt designs-I just let my LA quilter decide but I do agree with the members that a nice meandering would look good. If you have squares or triangles, I think a possible circular design would look nice. Beautiful quilt and I just love browns so I really love your quilt. Good luck on your picking a quilting design.

Your quilt is absolutely BEAUTIFUL I think I would use a dark brown .
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Thank you. I was thinking of using an off white color for the light colors and a deep green for the darks. I never thought about quilting with 2 different colors but then I am kind of new at this. Not sure. Just got it all pinned... Now going to think some more...

Thanks for your input

Blog Entries
    here is an old post someone commented on and I just saw it. this should help you.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t194674.html

I make a lot of Bragello quilts, and I just do straight lines from the top to bottom, or top to bottom and side to side. I don't want my quilting to really "show." I want my design to be what "speaks."

Here is one I just finished. Perhaps it will help you decide. Sometimes I stitch quite a bit farther apart. It depends on the batting. Normally I just stitch top to bottom about 2 1/2 inches apart...

Don't do an overall pattern unless you just want to. Straight lines can be fine.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both quilts are gorgeous, no idea on quilting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I forgot to mention that the straight stitching I do is SITD....(talking about the purple one above and all of my other Bargellos too.)

Dina

Love the purple 8!

I have decided to stitch right beside the ditch on every row. Go with the flow of the design. I have done this before on other bargellos and it turned out pretty nice. Got it all pinned and started last night. Will repost when finished.

Thanks all for helping!

I too was thinking an all over pattern with maybe soft curves. I love bargellos; made one eons ago. Time for another. I'm with snooze2978; I'm not a 'browns' fan but this one is gorgeous. Show us what you end up doing.

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to do a sort of echo line in brown thread on the brown triangles and keep it in a wavy line. Then, using a white/cream color, do a wavy line down the whole length of the white/cream lines. I would use colors that would blend so as not to take away from the beautiful look of this bargello.

I love the diagonal lines through the blocks. I think it really emphasizes the bargello pattern the best. Yes, you do have to turn in the centers of blocks - at least that's the way I did mine.
    Shirley in Arizona

PS. I love your quilt.
    Shirley in Arizona

What about doing crosshatching (that is diagonals in both directions)?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    First and foremost I just have to say your bargello is stunning. Maybe go with the flow of the quilt waves!

Going through each block in a color that blends on top and using a bobbin thread that matches bottom. (Was a little scared to use different threads). Turning out pretty nice so far. Have to get a green that will blend better. And yes I am having to stop mid block. No worries. I like the look!

Great at having support from all. Thanks so much,

Quote Originally Posted by cat23sas View Post
    Going through each block in a color that blends on top and using a bobbin thread that matches bottom. (Was a little scared to use different threads).
    This sounds like how I quilt my bargellos too. I just sort of follow the curves, and when I need to stop and go the other way I just bring the stitches to a point and go back the other direction. I think it turns out nice, and the quilting doesn't really catch the eye because it's going with the flow of the pattern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast