Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Barn quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/barn-quilt-pattern-t301527.html)

themadpatter 12-12-2018 10:19 AM

Barn quilt pattern

Are there certain ones? My son and I are going to make a ceramic one, he's a potter. I get to pick the pattern, but I got nothin' to bring to the party. Tried a forum search but it was too big a return. I need your advice!

Tartan 12-12-2018 10:47 AM

I would ask him how many colours of glaze he wanted to work with before getting a pattern. 2 colours something like Hunter’s Star, more then 2 colours the patterns are endless but you might want to keep it simple shapes.

nativetexan 12-12-2018 12:50 PM

barn quilts search gets you a ton of pictures. carpenters star, lone star and many more. probably keep it simple. what ever you pick will look great.

Macybaby 12-12-2018 02:24 PM

it becomes a "barn quilt" because you put it on a barn, not because of the pattern. So any pattern can be used.

Most often the pattern is selected because it has meaning to the property owner or the area the property is located in.

I have a shed I want to put one on, but also have not decided what block I want to go with.

meyert 12-12-2018 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my barn quilt this summer!! I grew up with 3 brothers and 3 sisters so I picked the Seven Sisters pattern

Part of me wishes it was a little bigger :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605219[/ATTACH]

SusieQOH 12-12-2018 05:31 PM

What a fun project for the two of you!

themadpatter 12-12-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8175554)
What a fun project for the two of you!

I know, right? And he thought of it, from scratch without seeing one someone else did, and without ever seeing or hearing about a barn quilt. He amazes me with his creativity, and has ever since he was in diapers.

He has a bunch of stamps he's made to use on pots, so I'm going to use some of them to make "patterned fabric" blocks. He has a number of different kinds of clay that are different colors, so we can use those for variety, too. My only concern is that when we start rolling out the clay to make the slabs, he's going to want to use my rolling pins. the ones for baking. Yeah, no, not gonna happen.

themadpatter 12-12-2018 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8175444)
it becomes a "barn quilt" because you put it on a barn, not because of the pattern. So any pattern can be used.

Lol. I know that, I was just wondering of there were some that were more traditionally used for it than others. He said we can make 2, so I already chose Dogwood Flowers (aka Name that Pattern or the Goodwill Mystery Quilt) because it has curves. Now I have to decide if we should try something with pointy ends like triangles, or go the safe route with squares.

Jingle 12-12-2018 07:35 PM

I'm with you not letting him use your rolling pins. I would get him some new ones.

themadpatter 12-12-2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8175351)
I would ask him how many colours of glaze he wanted to work with before getting a pattern. 2 colours something like Hunter’s Star, more then 2 colours the patterns are endless but you might want to keep it simple shapes.

Tartan, that is a very good point, you are a genius. I know he has a lot of glazes, but they are different cones, and reductions and oh, wow, my eyes glazed over in the middle of his glaze lecture, lol. He ended up dropping out of college and not finishing his chemistry degree, but he's sure using it a lot when he makes glazes, so we are at least amortizing the cost a little bit.