Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Barn quilt pattern

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    635

    Barn quilt pattern

    Are there certain ones? My son and I are going to make a ceramic one, he's a potter. I get to pick the pattern, but I got nothin' to bring to the party. Tried a forum search but it was too big a return. I need your advice!

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,969
    I would ask him how many colours of glaze he wanted to work with before getting a pattern. 2 colours something like Hunter’s Star, more then 2 colours the patterns are endless but you might want to keep it simple shapes.

  3. #3
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    18,944
    Blog Entries
    2
    barn quilts search gets you a ton of pictures. carpenters star, lone star and many more. probably keep it simple. what ever you pick will look great.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    6,794
    it becomes a "barn quilt" because you put it on a barn, not because of the pattern. So any pattern can be used.

    Most often the pattern is selected because it has meaning to the property owner or the area the property is located in.

    I have a shed I want to put one on, but also have not decided what block I want to go with.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

  5. #5
    Super Member meyert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    2,945
    I got my barn quilt this summer!! I grew up with 3 brothers and 3 sisters so I picked the Seven Sisters pattern

    Part of me wishes it was a little bigger

    Name:  39965383_1845157788855135_4387432521634152448_n.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  5.1 KB

  6. #6
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    9,635
    What a fun project for the two of you!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    What a fun project for the two of you!
    I know, right? And he thought of it, from scratch without seeing one someone else did, and without ever seeing or hearing about a barn quilt. He amazes me with his creativity, and has ever since he was in diapers.

    He has a bunch of stamps he's made to use on pots, so I'm going to use some of them to make "patterned fabric" blocks. He has a number of different kinds of clay that are different colors, so we can use those for variety, too. My only concern is that when we start rolling out the clay to make the slabs, he's going to want to use my rolling pins. the ones for baking. Yeah, no, not gonna happen.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    it becomes a "barn quilt" because you put it on a barn, not because of the pattern. So any pattern can be used.
    Lol. I know that, I was just wondering of there were some that were more traditionally used for it than others. He said we can make 2, so I already chose Dogwood Flowers (aka Name that Pattern or the Goodwill Mystery Quilt) because it has curves. Now I have to decide if we should try something with pointy ends like triangles, or go the safe route with squares.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    34,712
    I'm with you not letting him use your rolling pins. I would get him some new ones.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I would ask him how many colours of glaze he wanted to work with before getting a pattern. 2 colours something like Hunter’s Star, more then 2 colours the patterns are endless but you might want to keep it simple shapes.
    Tartan, that is a very good point, you are a genius. I know he has a lot of glazes, but they are different cones, and reductions and oh, wow, my eyes glazed over in the middle of his glaze lecture, lol. He ended up dropping out of college and not finishing his chemistry degree, but he's sure using it a lot when he makes glazes, so we are at least amortizing the cost a little bit.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I got my barn quilt this summer!! I grew up with 3 brothers and 3 sisters so I picked the Seven Sisters pattern

    Part of me wishes it was a little bigger
    Is that you in the center?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    696
    I would check pinterest.com out. Just type in "barn quilts" and there are literally thousands. I have made some and my favorite one is the Dresden plate and the tumbling blocks, the folded star (Americana) and the Maple Leaf.
    I would let him use your rolling pin. Just use parchment paper over the clay and it will not get on the rolling pin.
    I have 8 boards ready to paint and I want to do the Grandmother's flower garden, more Maple Leaf, and the Double Aster. Have fun and be sure to get him to sign and date it for you.

  13. #13
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    6,153
    I did a tulip pattern for mine... my garage quilt. LOL There are points but they are basic and easy to paint. I love mine, and am so proud of it because I made it myself... except for cutting the board.Name:  barn quilt for my garage.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  78.1 KB
    Linda Wedge White

    I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,393
    I like it. Just wish I had a barn or garage to decorate.

  15. #15
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    6,153
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I like it. Just wish I had a barn or garage to decorate.
    How about a smaller version for your front door?
    Linda Wedge White

    I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    I know, right? And he thought of it, from scratch without seeing one someone else did, and without ever seeing or hearing about a barn quilt. He amazes me with his creativity, and has ever since he was in diapers.

    He has a bunch of stamps he's made to use on pots, so I'm going to use some of them to make "patterned fabric" blocks. He has a number of different kinds of clay that are different colors, so we can use those for variety, too. My only concern is that when we start rolling out the clay to make the slabs, he's going to want to use my rolling pins. the ones for baking. Yeah, no, not gonna happen.
    Rolling pins are cheap. Buy him a special one of his own.

  17. #17
    Super Member meyert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    Is that you in the center?
    ha ha you are funny! I am the center star huh????

  18. #18
    Super Member meyert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I like it. Just wish I had a barn or garage to decorate.
    I have seen lots of these on front porches and even in kitchens - they are just smaller

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    749
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hers mine. Itís a Quatrefoil block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.