Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maintainance symbol >

Maintainance symbol

Maintainance symbol

Old 12-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Default Maintainance symbol

The little wrench and screwdriver symbol just popped up on my Bernina 440 screen. I looked in my book and it said after 200,000 stitches it should go for a check up. It is working fine and I have lots of sewing to do, how long can it wait before going to the Bernina dealer?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Tartan, I just had mine serviced and the owner told me every 3 years is sufficient. She's had her Bernina shop for decades.
However, I don't have yours. Mine is a bit older.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

If your machine is running fine, I would go ahead and do the sewing you need to get done. Then wait til the first of the year to take it in. I think our machines are like oil changes in cars, they tell you every three thousand miles, but realistically it’s every 6 thousand miles. BTW mine is once a year and I’ve been known to wait over two years.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Best to ask your dealer ...
s/he is the one you are going to have to deal with if there is a warranty issue, etc.
so you might as well start with getting their interpretation of this.

By that rule, anyone doing FMQing would never get any sewing done,
as the machine would be in for service more than it would be home to be used.

FYI I have the 820 and have put a lot more than 200,000 stitches on it ... way more!
And have never had any sort of a symbol as that show up.
It does tell me when it wants oil.
Ironically, I have come to know the sound difference and usually have added oil,
just a wee bit before the symbol shows up on the screen.

Again ... ask your dealer and get the right answer!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM

It's just a built-in feature that goes off every 200,000 stitches. If you oil your machine, your machine can't tell that you did or not. I always say that if you sew every day, take your machine in at least once a year. But don't go any longer than 4 years without a service. We don't want build-up in the gears or old oil turning to tar.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM

Interesting thread...I am coming up on a two year anniversary with my Bernina but I did take it in for a one year service. I don’t get to sew in the summer months but I wonder how many hours of sewing it takes to get to 200,000 stitches.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 AM

My BERNINA B530 has that feature and comes on after 360,000 stitches. I am amazed at how often it pops on. I have always taken the machine out of its hole to service it. I take off the stitch plate and clean it thoroughly. I also lay the machine over on its side and open the hook mechanism. I clean out dust and lint and put a small amount of oil along the black cover and snap it back in place. There is no need to take it to a technician at this point. I was told all of this by the technician. I have an 1130 that has been a workhorse for 35 years. I used it to make draperies and slip covers for years. I actually wore away the surface of the black portion that covers the hook race assembly and had to replace it. The reason was neglecting to take the time to service that area. That machine does not have the little reminder in the display. I do take them to the technician about every to years. I do think that taking them to a competent technician is more important than just taking them to a dealer that has lots of brands to sell and knows little about specific machines.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 AM

WHAT did we do before technicians?
I don't have a Bernina, mostly Janomes....real workhorses...I care for my own machine, clean/oil, check inside the machine, use only machine oil or grease recommended for specific areas. NEVER have taken any of my machines in for a check up. I will if I have a serious problem.....haven't so far. Dealers here charge $150 plus to "service" a machine, which is what I do.....
Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 AM

I have a Bernina 440 that's about eight years old and I do a tremendous amount of stitching, so I never miss having it serviced by a technician once a year. He tells me I have 5-million stitches at least so the cost is well worth it to me as I do not plan to buy another sewing machine and this one needs to last a long time! A friend who also has a Bernina machine takes hers in at the same time and we have the day out together visiting shops we don't usually get to - a fun day for us while the machines are at the "spa".