Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting not going well (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-not-going-well-t204289.html)

newbee3 10-26-2012 11:45 AM

when basting on your cutting table have a majority of the quilt hanging over the edge this keeps the tension on your stuff and it really does work. when you get to the middle then hang the basted edge over the edge and continue.

susie-susie-susie 10-26-2012 12:51 PM

The last quilt I spray basted had no wrinkles in it. I did it in 1/4's on my dining room table. There was no over spray and it worked great. I have also done the spray with the quilt hanging on the wall. That works great, too. I am very careful to only use a small amount of glue. Works great.
Sue

damaquilts 10-26-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos (Post 5613815)
Do you have a suitable wall space to use, even just temporarily? I just glue basted a 70" x 85" quilt this way earlier this week. It is about 60% quilted and I have had absolutely no issues with hills/pleats/tucks/wrinkles... anything. Sorry you are having such a horrid time, I've been there many times myself and it is truly discouraging.

No unfortunately not in this house. Almost every wall has either a door or window or its got bookcases piled with my brothers things. I wish I had a wall to do it on

damaquilts 10-26-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5613872)
Call the local library, community centers, and and see if the meeting room is empty. You can use the tables to baste. And the best thing is send it to a long armer to baste for you. The local LA's charge $20 to baste a queen size quilt. it depends on the batting type if it cost more.

I went to the local quilt shop to see if they knew someone who would do that. She looked at me like I was nuts said she had never heard of it and it wouldn't be worth her time.

damaquilts 10-26-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 5614206)
when basting on your cutting table have a majority of the quilt hanging over the edge this keeps the tension on your stuff and it really does work. when you get to the middle then hang the basted edge over the edge and continue.

I start with the quilt centered on my table , baste the middle first then move to the middle edges and then the corners. Do you start on the edge of the quilt?

damaquilts 10-26-2012 02:32 PM

I am in a "unique" living situation. I have to live with my brother who of course has most of the house filled with his own things. I even thought about getting 2 4x8 sheets of insulatation board but I would only be able to use them once and have to toss them because with all his things there is simply no place to store them. This house is pretty full , He has 3 motorcycles , wait no 4,3 work 1 not. and 3 cars in various stages of repair. 2 sheds full of stuff and a garage that can barely be walked around in. Even the attic is pretty full , the room that is suppose to be the "formal " living room is full of computer stuff. Add in a stepdaughter that moved into his over the garage room with all her things and 3 animals and you have a pretty full house. I am glad I have a bedroom and a sewing room but both are pretty tight.. Of course there is always that glad I have a roof over my head thing. LOL

Deecee 10-26-2012 02:35 PM

I had a quilt basted by a LAer and didn't specifiy exactly how I wanted it done as I thought she was the professional and would know better than I. When I got it back it was just sewn in horizontal rows 10 inches apart with "relaxed" fabric between the lines.

I just had to pull all the basting lines out and do it myself.

It just goes to show you need to get a clear indication of what they will do.

Now I use my narrow table and do the centre first, then each end.

Good luck with it.

Deborahlees 10-26-2012 03:10 PM

I so feel your pain and frustration.....
will take the time tomorrow and do a tute on how to use Elmers School glue to baste......
it will give you the most flat, wrinkle free quilt ever............................

asimplelife 10-26-2012 03:35 PM

Basting is my achilles heel as well, and I'm just doing kids quilts! Can't imagine anything larger... I'm going to try the Elmer's School glue on my next top and would welcome a tute Deborahlees! I'm a Deborah Lynn btw.

damaquilts 10-26-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5614574)
I so feel your pain and frustration.....
will take the time tomorrow and do a tute on how to use Elmers School glue to baste......
it will give you the most flat, wrinkle free quilt ever............................

that would be wonderful thanks