Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting not going well >

Basting not going well

Basting not going well

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Default Basting not going well

I have to baste on my cutting table. There is no other space in the house for me to do it. And crawling around on the concrete in the driveway just isn't an option . I have basted this quilt twice. Once with thread , I tore that out and the second time with pins being much more careful to clip the backing to the table and pin closely. I folded it over today to take it to the machine and sigh,,, Not smooth. I just know this is going to get little folds everywhere if I try to stitch it this way. Soo I guess I have to take it out and try again.I spent way too much money and time with this top. Just not now I guess. I am so discouraged tired and sore and I am about in tears.
And yes I would like a sharp cheddar or havarti to go with the whine please.
OH I did use basting spray on most of it but ran out . Even the part with the spray is making hills.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Do you have a suitable wall space to use, even just temporarily? I just glue basted a 70" x 85" quilt this way earlier this week. It is about 60% quilted and I have had absolutely no issues with hills/pleats/tucks/wrinkles... anything. Sorry you are having such a horrid time, I've been there many times myself and it is truly discouraging.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM

So sorry for your difficulties. Fortunately I have 2 very large tables in the dinning/family room. Sometimes I use masking tape to tape around the edges of the backing fabric to the tables before I start to pin
Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 AM

have you considered using Elmers School Glue....I get my quilts as smooth as glass....it can be done....
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Is it a quilt with sashing? If so stitch down the center of the quilt to divide it in half and then across the middle to divide it into quarters. If those 2 lines of stitching look decent then smooth and re-pin one of the quarters and quilt that quarter. If that is successful, smooth and re- pin the next quarter and so on. Even if you do not have sashing lines to follow you can use the water soluble thread and stitch the quilt into quarters that you can spritz and remove the soluble after you have quilted the quarters.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Call the local library, community centers, and and see if the meeting room is empty. You can use the tables to baste. And the best thing is send it to a long armer to baste for you. The local LA's charge $20 to baste a queen size quilt. it depends on the batting type if it cost more.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 AM

I can no longer get myself on the floor to baste, so I bought a full sheet of interior grade plywood, used masking tape around all the edges, and just put it on the table when I have a large quilt to baste. I bought jumbo plastic clips and after pressing my lining, center it on the table (large quilts will hang over all 4 edges evenly) and clip the lining taught all the way around. The clips are strong enough to hold it, yet easy enough to re-position when needed. You can see if there are wrinkles etc and just re position the clips while lightly smoothing and pulling the lining. Once it looks smooth, add your batting the same way, then your ironed top. I put a clip every 10 inches or so, and very close to the corners. Get someone if you can to help with this, one on each side of the plywood to help keep it straight and smooth. DH usually gets sucked into this! Then, you are ready to baste, be it thread or pin, starting in the middle and working out. When it is all done, take clips off and shift carefully to a side hanging down and re-clip, doing that for all 4 sides that might hang down. I never get wrinkles or shifting doing it this way. Good luck
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 AM

How big is your table? My cutting table is 60"x48" so I have no trouble basting my quilt on it with the Elmer's School Glue but I have done it on my small kitchen table which is way smaller before my hubby built my cutting table. The backing is as flat as it can possibly get, and no issues quilting. NONE! If you cannot find step by step instructions on the board PM me and I will will send it to you. All the best and good luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried the Sharon Schamber method? We baste a lot of quilts at guild doing it her way. We have a basting day and many bring their quilts that are physically unable or just don't like to baste and we all work basting together.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Perhaps someone could do a tutorial on how to baste using Elmer's school glue. I would be interested in that. Or is there a you tube video about it?