Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting not going well >

Basting not going well

Basting not going well

Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM

I would be interested too. I've read and seen the video about using Elmer's glue for binding a quilt but am not familiar with using it for basting.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
when basting on your cutting table have a majority of the quilt hanging over the edge this keeps the tension on your stuff and it really does work. when you get to the middle then hang the basted edge over the edge and continue.
This is pretty much what I do too, except on my dining room table. I put the backing down and then the batting and then swish it around the table, tugging on the backing in all directions and making sure it's all flat and that the batting fits within the backing. Then I put the top on and do the same and then start basting, with thread, with the rest of the quilt hanging off the table. I haven't had any problems with puckers.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM

I agree, I love to see a tutorial on how to baste using Elmer school glue.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

I use my cutting table, too. I start with the backing wrong side up, centered (extra hanging over the edges. I clip it using those large office clips. Center the binding on top of the backing, fold half back and spray baste and repeat with the other half. I then lay the top over the batting. Make sure everything is smooth. Fold back half of the top, spray the batting and then smooth the top again. Repeat for the other half. Then I slid the quilt to one side and baste it the same way. I repeat with the other side and then slide it up to finish the end. (the top of the quilt is on the table in the first step). This method works great for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Call the local library, community centers, and and see if the meeting room is empty. You can use the tables to baste. And the best thing is send it to a long armer to baste for you. The local LA's charge $20 to baste a queen size quilt. it depends on the batting type if it cost more.
This would be my suggestion as well. Also, local churches may have "fellowship halls" where they serve meals and have tables that you could use. The floor space is usually quite large as well. Your local sewing store may have classroom space you could use also.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
This is how I do it.....I put the wrong side up of the backing, on my average size dinning room table, then put down the batting, then the top....I make sure all my edges are correct, I generally cut by batting 2" wider all around, and then my batting 3" wider than top, using this method I can see the edge of my top, the edge of the batting and the edge of the backing all the way around, and know everything is square and good to go......
Next I run a row of safety pins in the middle from right to left, about 8 inches apart, this gives you a ' center flip point'...
Now what I like to do is the top first, so I flip the top to the middle (against the pins) drizzle my ESG (Elmer's SCHOOL Glue) in a thin lazy circle motion about 10-12" ON THE BATTING.....fold down the top and smooth with your hands until the section is wrinkle free, then fold back the top to the bottom of the previous glue, and drizzle again, flip down, smooth and continue until you have the top half done. At the point I spin the top around and do the other side in the same manner, only drizzling about 12" down at a time, do not worry if some of the glue soaks thru the top, it will dry and it will wash out......once the top is done...walk away for lets say 30-60 minutes, this will allow the glue to dry.... Now flip over your quilt having the un-glued backing on top and the dry smooth top on the bottom. You still have the safety pin row in the middle, that has kept everything together. Do exactly as you did for the top, flipping to the pin line, drizzling glue onto the batting and smoothing down the backing. YOU CAN GET IT AS SMOOTH AS GLASS.....once the back is done, and everything is smooth, I like to let it set for several hours or over night if possible....both sides should be very smooth, you will not have any wrinkles, your needle will not get gummed up and after your binding is on just throw it into the washer.....or not I hope this helps some people with this great cheap method.....if you need more help PM me
This sounds great but of course I have a little question. How much glue do you use? Do you squeeze it out in a grid pattern?if so what size grid? I'm so excited to try this because my husband hates the smell of basting spray. Plus the weather has turned here in this part of Canada and its cold out. That means the wood heater is going and the windows are closed. Not conducive for spray basting. Thanks for sharing your method!