Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting not going well >

Basting not going well

Basting not going well

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 AM

I use those really large binder clips to attached and keep my backing fabric tight to the table. Then I put the batting on and do the same thing (attaching it to the table with the binding clips), and then again, with the actual quilt. I figured this out several years ago, and it works very well for me.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 AM

I bought some 2 " x 2" x 8 ' boards at Menards as well as 4 - wood working clamps. I balance the boards on four chairs and hold together at each end with the wood working clamps. I put on the back layer followed by the batting and quilt top and tack with tack pins. If you pull the layers tight it gives you an excellent surface to work with for basting and you can release each end and roll it towards the other side as you go so you can reach different areas.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Default Basting:

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
I have to baste on my cutting table. There is no other space in the house for me to do it. And crawling around on the concrete in the driveway just isn't an option . I have basted this quilt twice. Once with thread , I tore that out and the second time with pins being much more careful to clip the backing to the table and pin closely. I folded it over today to take it to the machine and sigh,,, Not smooth. I just know this is going to get little folds everywhere if I try to stitch it this way. Soo I guess I have to take it out and try again.I spent way too much money and time with this top. Just not now I guess. I am so discouraged tired and sore and I am about in tears.
And yes I would like a sharp cheddar or havarti to go with the whine please.
OH I did use basting spray on most of it but ran out . Even the part with the spray is making hills.
Go to your church and put 2 tables together, or to your local library..They should let you use a table..
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
I went to the local quilt shop to see if they knew someone who would do that. She looked at me like I was nuts said she had never heard of it and it wouldn't be worth her time.
Every LA I know can baste a quilt on their machine. Some don't want to as they have too many quilts to get done. but it's easy money to most. Mine does all her basting quilts in one day. Load on, fast baste, load off. For the quilt shop idiot to say she never heard of it was simply to make you feel like a fool for asking. I would never spend another penny in that shop.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Okay here is a way to get it smooth. I rolled the last quilt I basted. I rolled the top the batting and the backing separately. I then unrolled each and smoothed it as I went. I did have to redo the backing once. Only because it wrinkled a little. I have had much better luck this way then folding and smoothing. I am off to the store to get large dowels to put batting on to do the rolling method all the time! I will think about doing a tutorial on this. Luann in CT
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 AM

I was having the same problems as you are. Someone on the QB suggested the Sharon Schamber method that is on Youtube. It is easy to do and solved my problem! Hope you find a way that works well for you!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM

This is how I do it.....I put the wrong side up of the backing, on my average size dinning room table, then put down the batting, then the top....I make sure all my edges are correct, I generally cut by batting 2" wider all around, and then my batting 3" wider than top, using this method I can see the edge of my top, the edge of the batting and the edge of the backing all the way around, and know everything is square and good to go......
Next I run a row of safety pins in the middle from right to left, about 8 inches apart, this gives you a ' center flip point'...
Now what I like to do is the top first, so I flip the top to the middle (against the pins) drizzle my ESG (Elmer's SCHOOL Glue) in a thin lazy circle motion about 10-12" ON THE BATTING.....fold down the top and smooth with your hands until the section is wrinkle free, then fold back the top to the bottom of the previous glue, and drizzle again, flip down, smooth and continue until you have the top half done. At the point I spin the top around and do the other side in the same manner, only drizzling about 12" down at a time, do not worry if some of the glue soaks thru the top, it will dry and it will wash out......once the top is done...walk away for lets say 30-60 minutes, this will allow the glue to dry.... Now flip over your quilt having the un-glued backing on top and the dry smooth top on the bottom. You still have the safety pin row in the middle, that has kept everything together. Do exactly as you did for the top, flipping to the pin line, drizzling glue onto the batting and smoothing down the backing. YOU CAN GET IT AS SMOOTH AS GLASS.....once the back is done, and everything is smooth, I like to let it set for several hours or over night if possible....both sides should be very smooth, you will not have any wrinkles, your needle will not get gummed up and after your binding is on just throw it into the washer.....or not I hope this helps some people with this great cheap method.....if you need more help PM me
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM

thanks again QB for all this information. I tried to find the Sharon Schambler utube - found so many!!! But I will definetly try the elmers glue deborahlees - I think I can handle that. The Schambler utube I started watching was more about squaring up your top on the backing. Getting corners square and easing in the bulk. Something I haven't had "yet" being a very new quilter. Don't look forward to that! Thanks again, so much great information and when I spread my "new knowledge" some find it hard to believe I haven't finished a quilt yet. LOL
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM

I love Susan Schamber's method using the boards. Works perfectly every time--with glue
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM

I spray baste on my bed. Fortunately it is a king but any bed will do. I cover the bed with a big flannel sheet, this protects from over spray AND holds everything in place. Put batting down, arrange backing, fold half of backing back, spray batting, smooth backing down, fold back other half, spray and smooth again. Flip that over, arrange quilt top on batting and repeat the fold back, spraying and smoothing process. Viola! You have a very smooth result that you will love. Just spray sparingly until you know how much it will take to hold nicely and it will not take as much as you might think. I have basted large king sized quilts alone in under an hour, and yes, sometimes I have to lift and shift the whole thing and layer in sections but the results are fantastic. I like 505, Dritz, June Taylor (new Improved Formula), but do NOT like Sullivan's.