Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting not going well >

Basting not going well

Basting not going well

Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM

It can be very discouraging for sure - close to tears - have been there. Take a deep breath, put it away for now & try again tomorrow or in a day or two. Then take a nice warm bath & enjoy a glass of wine !!! RELAX, even though I know that it's easier to say then do. You're too hard on yourself but that seems to be a common trait in women.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Have you ever considered basting it the Sharon Shamber's method?? I have not had a single wrinkle in the 3 quilts that I have finished. Check it out on you-tube.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Have you tried the Sharon Schamber method? We baste a lot of quilts at guild doing it her way. We have a basting day and many bring their quilts that are physically unable or just don't like to baste and we all work basting together.
This is a great way to baste a quilt!! If you don't have the space, try your church, rec center, senior's center or library. They most all have the big tables.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 AM

What a good idea...(I'm referring to stitching it in quarters as was suggested earlier)I'm going to try that the next time! I also spray baste my layers together and usually have good success with that.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 AM

This might be a consideration. Take your quilt to a long armer and ask them just to baste it. This is not very expensive. You can then take it home and quilt it.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
This might be a consideration. Take your quilt to a long armer and ask them just to baste it. This is not very expensive. You can then take it home and quilt it.
My long armer charged $60 for a king size. It sounds like a lot, but it takes out the work I hate. Lots of tops made, few done, because I hate the basting.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 AM

I haven't done that many quilts but the one that turned out was taped to the floor (the backing) with masking tape. All over the poace.
It might be worth finding a willing accomplice to loan you suitable floor space. Hardwood or linoleum...surely there would be someone willing.

The first quilt I basted to heck and back and got to the edge and ran out of batting in a couple corners. Had to un-do and re-do. Bummer!!

Good luck on try #3.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 AM

next time you should try this . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...feature=relmfu I did it you do not need all the room this was work good.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 AM

Me too. I'm a beginner and want to learn anything that helps progress!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM

If you know a long arm quilter, ask if they bast quilts. I have done it a number of times for people to either hand quilt or to machine quilt themselves. You put the quilt on your frame and don't use the stitch regular and move the machine fast either right and left or at angles. It does not take long, and I use thread that is easy to see and I no longer use for quilting. Good luck.